1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HMI Question

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by alanuk, Apr 1, 2019.

1. alanuk

alanuk New commenter

Hi,
    Not sure if anyone has the answer... but informed on Friday that HMI are coming the week after we are back. I am currently working in a small school, 60 kids and 3 classes. We've been told that the team is made up of 4 inspectors and will be a 5 day visit. Is there a limit to how many/long they can observe you for? Surely the team show be appropriate to the size of school? Already staff are beginning to worry about the workload and stress. Also considering whether worthwhile contacting union to alert them of this?

2. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Established commenter

Look at this. It's from 2012, but much of it will still apply.

https://www.eis.org.uk/Content/images/education/eisinspectionadvice lf final version 14 2 12.pdf

According to this, a school of only 3 classes should only have one inspector.

Education Scotland state that in small schools/centres (defined as those with more than 30 but fewer than 50 pupils and/or fewer than four classes) one inspector will carry out the inspection.

4 insepctors for such a small school does seem excessive. You may wish to alert your local union for clarity.

3. alanuk

alanuk New commenter

Thank you Effin! I have emailed local union rep (although they are also on 2-week break). Apparently, our HT advised them on the phone that we are a small school and their reply was that they are aware of that but the inspection team won't be changing. Well sorry, but I ain't getting pushed around for anyone.

4. Marisha

Marisha Occasional commenter

That seems bizarre. You're right to got through your union.

Instead of waiting for your local rep to come back, why not try phoning your union's head office? They may have someone on duty over the Easter break.

5. alanuk

alanuk New commenter

Well the EIS was pretty useless to be honest. They advised that often HMIE come with shadow members - (we already know this isn't the case). They made no reference despite asking twice about the number of inspectors for the size of a small school. As for them coming in and out of class all day/all week, that's up to them.
    I can't actually wait to get started on them. The workload expected for them coming is ridiculous, including such things as ensuring displays are less than two months old. Be prepared to be drilled on data, justify why certain novels have been chosen etc. Actually, I'd like them to justify why every school is doing something completely different, why I have to spend my own money to be able to deliver a huge chunk on the curriculum and why there isn't a central bank of resources for access.

Needless to say, I'm doing nothing over and above, no fancy lessons and feeling thoroughly fed up.

Marisha and Effinbankers like this.
  6. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Established commenter

Good for you.

7. davieee

davieee Occasional commenter

Education Scotland can (and often do) come with shadow members who are normally staff training to become inspectors.