1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HLTA'S and teaching time

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by helpfulfriend, Oct 29, 2011.

1. helpfulfriend

helpfulfriend New commenter

I teach full time and teach Literacy and Numeracy twice a week to two different year 6 groups.
    I also teach French, Music and R.E. to year 6.
    I plan and assess all these subjects.

2. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

I teach part-time covering PPA and SMT time. This year I am teaching RE and Music but have for a number of years taught Art, D&T and in the past Geography. I teach English and Maths one morning a week and also cover if SMT are out/ needed. Occasionally teach for the day when there is unexpected staff illness especially if it is a class I normally cover for as it means continuity for the children and also the planning can be covered if left.If not I can probably carry it on, if I have been working as support in that class and we have more than one class per Yr group so I can find out and carry on.This means I may be involved in teaching core subjects.I don't think we should be doing it on a long term basis as I have heard in some schools.I think three days is suitable unless they can't get supply and we do sometimes have difficulty.

3. angelface22

angelface22 New commenter

PLEASE HLTA's and TA's, when are you going to realise that it is not for" continuity for the children", it is teaching on the cheap. Teaching is a graduate profession and children have the right to be taught by fully qualified staff. I'd be horrified to find out my child's work was being planned, delivered and ASSESSED by non qualified staff. I always say, if you want to be a teacher, go and spend four years training to be one. When is everyone going to wake up and smell the injustice our children are getting.

4. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

hmm.. bet they dont get much choice!

5. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

angelface 22
    I am quite aware that it is teaching on the cheap. I work in the class I teach all week so it is continuity and that is what the SMT feel. I go to the planning meetings in my own time.As for the RE there are very few staff who go to church or practise any religion. I do.The Music is a scheme and the Art and D&T is a talent I have.Some staff have told me I am far better at it than they are and they love me teaching it.So do the children.In an ideal world every child would have a qualified teacher but we are not living in that world.

Hubcap :)Yes you're right we don't have a choice. In July we are handed a slip of paper from the Headteacher it states our hours and our duties for the year.We accept it.