1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HLTA

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Lsamumofthree, Mar 6, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Lsamumofthree

Lsamumofthree New commenter

Hi all just wanted to share my HLTA assessment experience for those going through it !

I started in November and had two training days. One in November and one in December. I found the course very useful and was able to complete the tasks quite easily. I was able to use recent interventions and had been in charge of a class several times.

The evidence folder took me the most time. But that was partly because I organised it into sections and clearly labelled each piece of evidence.

My assessment day was two months after my December meeting. The emailed me the timetable before hand so I could speak to the Head and my teacher and prewarn them !

I advised him of the parking situation before the day so that he would be aware. On the day I met him at the door and introduced him to the Head. He was pleasant, friendly and not at all how I thought !

The questions were tricky and made me think but if you are an experienced TA you will be fine !

He spoke to the Head and my teacher. They both said he was very thorough !!
    He liked my evidence folder becaus he could find things easily.

The last interview with me was quick. I knew then that I had passed but had to wait a month to get my certificate and confirmation. These were sent to the school. It took four months from start to finish.

It was pressured at times but overall I did enjoy it and feel it is well worth going though. Good luck to anyone going through it or thinking about it !

Krob33 and sunshineneeded like this.
  2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Congratulations, lsamumofthree! So pleased to hear the news, and it's great that you have shared your experience of the assessment. None of us really know what to expect and everyone is nervous - I know I was! I hope that your success is being recognised at your school and you now have a HLTA role.
    Well done!

Lsamumofthree likes this.
  3. marbles78

marbles78 New commenter

Thank you for sharing your experience and congratulations! I am starting the HLTA process at the end of April when I have 2 training days and am already feeling very nervous! I am fortunate enough to work closely with an HLTA that went through the assessment process in 2017 so she has been a great help with what to expect and what will be required of me, but it doesn't stop the nerves!

4. Lsamumofthree

Thank you! Sunshine needed! Thought it may help someone! Still negotiating my role at school ! Have agreed extra pay for when I cover a class but have asked for a higher grade overall. They are looking into it though! Haven’t said no yet !

5. Lsamumofthree

Marbles78 I was scared too but once you get started it isn’t too bad. Must admit doing my evidence folder I did say to my husband ‘I can’t do this!’ He said ‘don’t be sillly of course you can !’ Am glad I finished it !

Good luck

6. kellywrench

kellywrench New commenter

Well done!
    I’m starting in May and really apprehensive as I do t know what to expect and don’t know anyone else who has been through the process. I’m hoping all will become clearer after day 1?!

Krob33 and Lsamumofthree like this.
  7. sunshineneeded

Don't worry too much about it yet, kellywrench. The only thing I would ask is - do you already cover classes? Probably for PPA? You need to be doing that on a regular basis; it's always difficult when people arrive to start their HLTA prep and tell us "My school want me to start covering when I've got the status." So, if you're not already covering, talk to your HT and see if it can be arranged.
    It will all become clearer on day 1! Post again if you have any questions, there are lots of helpful people here who will support you.

8. Lsamumofthree

It’s not so daunting after day 1 ! You will be fine !

sunshineneeded likes this.
  9. kellywrench

Thanks for your advice-already leading class sessions so no issues there!
    If anyone has an example of how much to write for each task that would be helpful-so I can get my head round it a bit before the 3 day course. Thanks in advance

sunshineneeded and Krob33 like this.
  10. kellywrench

Thanks for the reassurance x

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2019
  11. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

Congratulations LSAmum.

Marbles and Kelly
    Task 1, 2 and 3 are more in depth so a few A4 pages long task 4 depends and Task 5 contains the mop up standards so they are short sometimes less than half a page.
    It will become clearer when you go. We wrote Task 1 on the first day then tweaked it so think about a lesson you would like to give or something recent say the week before and how you would improve it. Chose something straight forward to get the hang of it then the others can be more in depth.
    Make sure you have an early night and take some paracetamol. we got a headache from all the information. Our tutor moved on quickly and was very thorough.

I really enjoyed the days out and meeting and discussing education with the other TAS.

12. sunshineneeded

Good advice, snugglepot - and lovely to hear from you again!

I regularly work with new HLTA cohorts in our area - when I did mine, we had day 1, then day 2 a couple of weeks later, and day 3 about a month or more after that. I thought that worked well; we had time to process all the information from day 1 and draft at least two of our three main tasks before day 2.
    Now, days 1 and 2 are together, two days running - I find the poor delegates turn up on day 2 looking as if they haven't slept for a week!!!! Definitely think the 'old way' worked better!

13. marbles78

marbles78 New commenter

Thank you so much for the advice Snugglepot and Sunshine.

I’ve got day 1 and 2 on Thursday/Friday at the end of April and then day 3 is less than 4 weeks later on the 21st May. My head is spinning already!! I work for a babysitting agency to supplement my TA wages but have made sure I’ve blocked myself out all around those dates and at the weekends so I’m not tired from a late night.

I have a brilliant HLTA colleague who has given me lots of advice about the tasks and I’ve been using the Easter hols to do a bit of planning on which examples to use. I’ve got ideas for my group and individual tasks but need to have a good chat with my teacher about the whole class lesson when we go back.

sunshineneeded and Lsamumofthree like this.
  14. sunshineneeded

Marbles, you are very well prepared for day 1 and 2 - much more so than most will be! Enjoy the rest of the Easter holidays now and let us know how your first two days go. You'll be fine!

15. Could anyone help and tell me how to find out which provider my local area use, I've been given the go ahead to say I can do the course self funded but not sure how to go about applying or finding the course it's stressing me out

Thank you

16. sunshineneeded

Have a look at the HLTA National Assessment Partnership website - hlta.org.uk. They have details of all the regional providers, with phone numbers. I'm not sure how much is actually up and running at the moment, but hopefully we're on the way back to some level or normality! Best of luck and do post again if you have any questions.

17. Lsamumofthree

Hi Sunshineneeded! Just wanted to let you know I was upgraded to a full time HLTA scale and pay from 1st April. As soon as the new head could do it ! So much better as before I was claiming for the time I was covering lessons !

Maariyahassan94 my course was with Best practice network. They are very good and cover a lot of the country. But sunshine needed is right you need to look on Hlta.org. Beware of online courses as they don’t give you the status and are cheaper. Mine was about £900 but luckily my school paid !

18. sunshineneeded

@Lsamumofthree, that's great news - and it's absolutely what should happen. It makes me so mad when HTs will only pay HLTA rate when you are covering classes - it's like saying you're not using all your skills and experience when you are planning and delivering interventions or supporting a target group in class.

Hope you are enjoying your new role ... or will do, when we all get back to something like normality!

19. Lsamumofthree

Thank you sunshine needed ! I have been able to help the teacher set online work and mark. I am enjoying it but normal would be nice !