1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HLTA

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Lsamumofthree, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Lsamumofthree

Lsamumofthree New commenter

Help ! I have had my first training session and have to complete three tasks by December.
    I am happy with the tasks but getting very confused with the evidence for each standard ! Does the evidence for each standard have to tie in with one of my tasks ? For instance if I get a state mentfrom a work colleague does it have to link to one of my tasks ? Or can it mention another time I met the standard ?

Thanks in advance !

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Take a deep breath and don't panic! We all remember how we felt after day 1 - SO confused! You will need one or two pieces of documentary evidence for each standard. But, at this stage, don't worry about the evidence at all. How long is it until day 2? Some LAs have day 1 and day 2 together, then several weeks' break until day 3 (I'm not in favour), others have two weeks between 1 and 2 and then the longer gap before day 3. I think this works better, giving people a chance to get their heads around what needs to be done.

For the moment, just concentrate on writing your first 3 tasks. The evidence can come later. Remember, the tasks are all about you and what you did. The assessor doesn't need to know reams about your school curriculum, etc. Write in the first person, 'I had observed during the previous lesson that the higher ability children had quickly mastered long multiplication so, while planning my lesson, I decided to include an extension task for them. Using one of the websites our school subscribes to (name it), I researched some multi-step word problems which included more complex multiplication.'

Your aim is to have your first 3 tasks written up before day 2. That day should include much more input about the documentary evidence, as well as advice about your shorter scenarios for task 4. Good luck and post again if you need more help.

3. Lsamumofthree

Hi thank you for replying !

My second session is on the 13th December. I am not having a third session ! After the second one I will get my date through for assessment. Hence my panic !

The tutor told us to start gathering our evidence that's why I am asking and panicking !

4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

That's odd - HLTA prep is always 3 days?? However, you are evidencing the standards, not the tasks - but your documents will usually relate to the tasks. One document can evidence several standards - if you planned the whole class lesson yourself for task 3, the plan could meet standards 13, 17, 19, 20, 23 and 24 - and more besides. If you decide to use a document for more than one standard, you will need several copies of it with the relevant area that you want the assessor to look at for each standard highlighted and referenced. I know it sounds complicated, but once you start, you'll be able to do it. If you use a school policy, only use the particular page that relates to the standard and highlight it. Remember, the assessor will have about a minute to look at each document; they need to be able to find the information they're after very quickly. The stronger the evidence you provide, the fewer questions they will ask you at your interview!

5. Lsamumofthree

Thank you so much ! It’s beginning to make sense !

No definitely only two days. I am doing it through Best practice network . My Head phoned to check as well !!

Thank you I will start my tasks and go from there !