1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HLTA without the status?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Cb566, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Cb566

Cb566 New commenter

Hi,

I've been looking everywhere and I seem to be finding mixed messages.
    Last year I was doing the PGCE, but with 3 weeks left of final placement I took a step back because both my health and the children's education was suffering. The school allowed me to continue those 3 weeks as more of a HLTA role with lots of observing other teachers in between. I am looking to repeat the 9 week placement that I 'failed' in the future, but not this year at least.
    A job has come up no too far from me for a HLTA position with very few details about the post on it!
    Is it worth applying even though I don't have HLTA status? I've looked at the 33 standards and I've either covered them during the PGCE placements or when I did the Early Years Teacher Status, and gaining HLTA status is something I would be looking to do in the future after I get QTS.

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Why would you want to gain the HLTA status after your QTS?
    Visit the school ask about the job what they expect etc. Ask them if they require the status or if your experience will be enough. They May want some one with more experience but you will not know until you ask.
    Just a question can you defer your placement so long after initially taking it? I thought it had to be taken the next term.

3. Cb566

Cb566 New commenter

Hi, Thanks I will be hopefully visiting tomorrow.

Yes, at least that's what my personal tutor said. When I requested a repeat placement I said I'd be looking to do it either Spring/Summer Term 2016 or September 2016 and they said that was fine as long as I let the Placement Partnership Office know in advance so they can arrange a school.

4. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Ok don't think our local uni lets it go that long.
    Good luck.

5. OBakaSama

OBakaSama Occasional commenter

Woah, Cb566, your situation sounds eerily similar to my own with respect to the PGCE. I was forced to withdraw from my placement in the end and effectively failed. Deferring a placement is possible, but make sure you get all the necessary paperwork in beforehand; my university was very poor at this and it set me back a lot. Make sure you find out from your tutor what you need to do in advance if you intend to complete the PGCE. (There is always paperwork involved.)

Depending how the people who organise your placement work, I hope they are more transparent where you are; otherwise, you'll end up stuck in limbo not knowing when you'll go out on placement. The first time I was told it would take a couple of weeks, but heard nothing for months. In the end, mine took so long to organise that I didn't think I would even get a placement, and I would have to wait another year. I did get it in the end, but it didn't work out.

What I'm trying to convey with respect to the PGCE is, be on top of them and make sure you know where you stand with it.

As for the HLTA, I'd say go for the job. I've known teachers becoming HLTAs, so an HLTA qualification after gaining QTS is redundant.

Good luck!