1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HLTA to NQT advice needed

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by fif62, Jun 24, 2020.

1. fif62

fif62 New commenter

Hi I have 10 years of experience working as a HLTA in a primary school, with experience in most year groups. Over the last 3-4 years I have been used as a job share teacher and involved in most of the aspects of teaching: planning, assessments, moderation, attending staff meetings, dealing with parents, running intervention groups, running the school council, residentials, training playleaders, preparing lessons and obviously teaching.

I was taken on firstly as a TA pupil specific and then given a role that was to support additional needs. Since that time more and more has been put on me, as I am on a higher pay scale that all the other TA's. I must also explain that I have a PGCE but did not complete an NQT year, due to family circumstances.

I now want to complete my qualification and the new Head teacher has said it may be possible. I am over 50 but very driven and now my children are teenagers, really want to have a clearer role that uses my skills, rather than abuses all my previous experience, prior to teaching, as a leisure centre manager.

Can anyone advise what i should do , in terms of contacting a college, or should school sort out the details for completing my qualification.

Thanks

2. Owleyes00

Owleyes00 New commenter

If you already have your PGCE, you shouldn’t need to get in touch with a college. I believe your school would just need to employ you as an NQT and register you with the relevant local authority...

3. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

The school just needs to treat you as an NQT, make sure all the paperwork is completed appropriately, and register with your LA. At the end of your NQT year that's it, fully fledged teacher.

agathamorse, tuscanydays and Pomza like this.
  4. fif62

fif62 New commenter

Thank you so much. It is now looking like the school will be putting me on to an NQT contract for next year!

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

agathamorse likes this.
  6. fif62

fif62 New commenter

7. fif62

fif62 New commenter

Thank you for this link. x

Piranha likes this.
  8. Kathryn1995

Kathryn1995 New commenter

Hi there just checking you have QTS alongside your PGCE as you’ll only be able to do your NQT year if Qualified. I know some places offer only PGCE’s without QTS.
    Good luck and really hope it works out! xx