1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HLTA teaching full time?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Bsprout, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Bsprout

Bsprout New commenter

I'll keep it brief. The academy I work at employ an HLTA to teach maths (KS3 only) full time. He is on an 80% timetable and has been told to meet with his line manager every week to make sure all is OK. HOD has taken to 'popping in' to his lessons and is then very critical of the way he is teaching. He plans and delivers lessons and also marks books. Lovely man, but he has quite poor literacy skills and, at the end of the day is not a qualified teacher (and unlikely to become one as he has no interest in studying for a degree). It's great for him to be given this opportunity and there is no doubt that he is an asset to the school as the children love him (especially the lower ability) but I feel slightly uncomfortable that this person is being allowed to teach 'unchecked' and, quite frankly, being taken advantage of. Just wondered what other people think - is this an appropriate way to use a HLTA?

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

If the HOD is monitoring his performance and then providing feedback then I don't understand how his teaching is ' unchecked '? It is a lack of action which arises from it which is unacceptable - if this is the case ? It is not uncommon, from my experience ,for people working in schools (even those with a degree ) to have poor literacy skills. I suspect that lots of folk with HLTA status are taken advantage of .My main concern would be that the students in his charge are in receipt of below par teaching and this responsibilty rests with the HOD.It matters not, of course, that they are lower attaining.

3. Bsprout

Bsprout New commenter

My thoughts are two-fold: 1.As a parent I would have concerns over the situation; 2. As a colleague I feel the school is taking advantage - although he is generally happy with the situation so it shouldn't really be a concern to me.
    I think the thing at the back of my mind is the negative comments he is given which are followed up with conflicting advice,- but I am a third party here, I only hear what he tells me. I read too many of the workplace dilemmas and it makes me feel very suspicious of our SLT, although I really don't believe ours are the nasty, vindictive people I keep reading about. Still, I feel uneasy with the way he is being treated. I know it is none of my business, and I am very careful not to share my misgivings with him - I let him talk about what is happening and offer support and ideas where I can.
    I also feel uneasy because while I am trying to be supportive I always have the thought at the back of my mind that as a parent I wouldn't be happy - which makes me feel two-faced.I think my reason for posting is simply to voice my thoughts, it isn't a situation anyone can do anything about (except those directly involved).

4. rolls

rolls Occasional commenter

My worry would also be for him. He may be happy at the moment but lack of qualifications mean that he may be stuck in that school and post forever. Alternatively he may find himself out of a job or redeployed if there is a change of management. His lack of qualifications mean that his rights in such a situation would be limited.
    Please encourage him to push management to help him get qualifted. He could take a distance learning Maths degree (or start with A level maths if he does no have this) or a foundation degree in education (day release or distance) alongside teaching duties. You also seem concerned about his literacy, as a HLTA he should have at least a C in GCSE English. If he does not then theirs should be his and the school's priority.