1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HLTA Task 3

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Kittyb74, Feb 2, 2020.

1. Kittyb74

Kittyb74 New commenter

Hi, advice would be greatly appreciated. I've decided to scrap my original Task 3 (luckily they haven't been submitted yet) and do it again. Had a really good whole class PHSE lesson and was hoping I could use that. Can I use this example for Task 3?

Thanks in advance

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

You can definitely use a PSHE lesson. Bear in mind, though, that at least two of your tasks 1-3 should be based on your 'area of expertise'.

3. Kittyb74

Kittyb74 New commenter

Oh okay. They haven't mentioned this on the course so far.They just said each task needs to try and cover most of the standards but not to fret if a few are missing. Task 4-8 are to use to cover standards you haven't met in tasks 1-3. Now I'm wondering if I need to look again at Task 1&2, both are numeracy KS1. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks

4. sunshineneeded

Perhaps it's just what we are told to tell HLTA candidates in our area of the country... but we always say that at least two of their first three tasks should include their area of expertise. If maths is yours, then you'll be fine! And that's quite right about the standards - you should find that the majority are covered in tasks 1-3, then you can plan how to evidence the rest in your shorter pieces for task 4.

5. Kittyb74

Kittyb74 New commenter

Hi,
    Sorry me again, Just wondered if you can advise me on one of the standards and how it may tie into some of the task I have already done. I am struggling to find examples that I may have put in practice for STD 27 but subconsciously not realized I have, if that makes sense. We are a small school and apart from children with different religions,and the usual SEN we don't have any other pupil what falls into that example. Or am I not understanding the standard properly? Any help would be appreciated,thanks in advance.

6. sunshineneeded

Have you ever had the boys asking why you have a 'girls only' day on your football pitch? Sport can bring up a lot of issues.

7. sunshineneeded

You can also use gender stereotypes - I once had a boy tell me that 'boys can't be nurses, that's a girl's job'. Also had a boy in my class who enjoyed knitting, which was much ridiculed by other year 6 boys (until we talked about all the multi-millionaire male fashion designers!) Explaining how you have challenged these issues would be good evidence.

8. Kittyb74

Kittyb74 New commenter

Thank you. Would this example apply to this standard. We have a child who has a strong dislike to daily assemblies, yet feels he is missing out when all the children have a celebration assembly. Obviously he can't just pick and choose which ones to attend. We have managed to come to a happy medium, where he joins us for 5 minutes at the start of daily assembly, which builds up enough time to attend the celebration one. Or would that apply more to a different standard?

9. sunshineneeded

Hmm … not sure that is relevant to standard 27. Don't know if others would agree, but I think that's more standard 9 - and you would have to show how you personally have understood his needs, helped him to understand that he needs to be part of every assembly and support him to do this.

10. Kittyb74

Kittyb74 New commenter

Hi, yeah I was not sure as to whether it was that standard or not. Thank you for your advice. It really helps.