1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HLTA taking over supply teacher's jobs!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by fionafetra, Feb 28, 2012.

1. fionafetra

fionafetra New commenter

I have been a supply teacher for several years. I have been to a few schools where higher level teaching assistants are used to cover classes. One was moaning... saying that we don't get paid enough to cover a class. Well, in my opinion they shouldn't be paid the same rate as a supply teacher bcos they didn't have to do a teaching degree and go through the stress of studying. It's not fair that schools are doing this and supply teachers are not getting enough work.

2. And there you have it. The British people are either blissfully unaware of the ersatz state of their children's education or schools are bloody good at pulling the wool !

3. emmadrg

emmadrg New commenter

Welcome to the world of the supply teacher in 2012! So many schools use cover supervisors and HLTAs to cover classes, in fact I have yet to enter a school that did not have an army of cover supervisors on the payroll.
    If HLTAs moan about not being paid enough, then why do they let themselves be used for cover? Unless it is in their contract, which it probably is.
    Of course they shouldn't be paid the same as a teacher if they don't hold QTS and aren't doing the job of a teacher.

4. "HLTA needed to teach throughout the school during PPA time and to provide supply cover. HLTA qualifications desirable but not essential." That is a typical advert.
    In a sample of 420 primary schools that responded to a FoI survey (and that was less than 50% of the schools who were sent the survey) the number of unqualified staff outnumbered the number of qualified teachers by about 3 : 1 teaching during PPA time;
    169 unqualified teachers were used to teach during PPA time
    535 HLTAs ditto
    454 TAs ditto
    There were also 50 unqualified teachers working as class teachers on a full time basis and 31 part time.
    These numbers compare with 398 qualified teachers teaching during timetabled PPA time.
    So in these 420 schools 58,835 children were taught by support staff and unqualified teachers during PPA time and another 2195 taught by unqualified class teachers. This total compares with 100,620 children on roll.
    What was even more worrying for me was the number of schools that answered the questions in such a way as to seemingly indicate that there was no PPA taking place.
    If cover for teacher absence is also taken into account as well as the "non-answers" well over 60% of children are not being taught full time by qualified teachers.

5. stan-dards

stan-dards New commenter

And the kids still leave school with a sack full of A & A star GCSEs.!!!
    Is it Expert Non qualified teachers, Naturally gifted kids or easier exams?

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I've said it before on here, but it's still relevant - my sister is a Primary TA, and the reason she won't become a HLTA is because her Headteacher uses HLTAs for maternity covers to save on supply costs. My sister sees no reason to allow herself to be pressurised into doing six months of a teacher's job for TA pay.

7. This is an example of a head teacher ignoring all regulations and guidance. Maternity "cover" is long term and is specifically covered in all guidelines given to head teachers; long term cover should never happen.
    In fact this should not be considered as cover; it is actually replacing a teacher with a member of support staff and the DfE has stated on numerous occasions that this should not happen. furthermore Nick Gibb has stated that head teachers should follow regulations and take note of guidance.