1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HLTA taking over supply teacher's jobs!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by fionafetra, Feb 28, 2012.

1. fionafetra

fionafetra New commenter

I have been a supply teacher for several years. I have been to a few schools where higher level teaching assistants are used to cover classes. One was moaning... saying that we don't get paid enough to cover a class. Well, in my opinion they shouldn't be paid the same rate as a supply teacher bcos they didn't have to do a teaching degree and go through the stress of studying. It's not fair that schools are doing this and supply teachers are not getting enough work.

2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Just to play devil's advocate - and I'll probably be shouted down here. The advantages of an HLTA might be that they already know the children and the school routines, it might be felt that this is less disruptive for the children. I am a teacher too, though, and wouldn't be happy about someone less qualified undercutting my pay.

3. I am an HLTA and I think it grossly unfair that we are asked to take classes. It is wrong and not what HLTA is meant for. There is an advantage of knowing the children and yes we can do a good job but we are being taken away from really making a difference with group and individual learning. Luckily my school see sense and use us how we should be used. I would be really annoyed too if I was a teacher and my services were no longer required. It's not our fault though it is the HT who decides things like this and more often than not it is to save money.