1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HLTA/TA to cover merternity cover

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by ipswichlatebus, Dec 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. ipswichlatebus

ipswichlatebus New commenter

Hi

As any HLTAs/TAs ever been asked to cover for a teacher while on merternity if so what was it like as I'm my department I have a teacher doing on merternity and they have given me a HLTA/TA to cover lessons for part of the week.

How would u feel if u had to cover.

2. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

That's really bad. The HLTA position is to cover ppa not a teachers job. I wouldn't do it. We are not paid the same as a teacher.

3. ipswichlatebus

Sonubsuggest i do not use tbe HLTA to cpver merternity cover in my department, how else would i get lessons covered then.

4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Much depends on how much cover the hlta is being asked to do. I'm assuming you're secondary, which is different. As a primary hlta, I've covered a regular one day a week in year 6 for several years - I often cover a second day if needed.

5. ipswichlatebus

The HLTA has bssn asked to cover 12-15 lessons a week and then do her library duties ontop of that.

6. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

It really depends on the HLTA's background, experience and qualifications. I know one primary school who used an HLTA to cover a maternity leave as other applicants were unsuitable. The HLTA was paid as an unqualified teacher.

7. ipswichlatebus

I think she has lots of skills but not enough to teach fully on her own but this is the only choice i have been given.

8. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

What does the HLTA think?

9. ipswichlatebus

She told me she would rather not have full responsibility of groups but she will help ne out in the periods where she is not doing her library duties

10. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

At the end of the day it's up to her. I think you need to be realistic though and accept that you can't expect her to do a teacher role with all the responsibilities involved. I would say have a meeting with her and ask what she is prepared to do, so that you both know where you Stand. Good luck.

11. ipswichlatebus

I could give her some shared groups with other teachers how does that sound, would that be better for her.

12. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

It's good that you are being so considerate. Have the chat with her, give her the options and see what she prefers.

13. ipswichlatebus

Okay i have a meeting with her at 9am will ket u know how it went.

14. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Have a meeting with the you, the HLTA and any others who will be part of the cover. Maternity leave is a long time (up to a year?) so this needs careful planning. Obviously it must meet the needs of the school, but the HLTA must feel that they are supported too. Key issues will be who is doing the planning and marking. If any of this is to be completed by the HLTA, they will need time to do it.

15. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

Silly season again. What are your teaching qualifications?

16. ipswichlatebus

I will take this into consideration when i meet with then, it was meant to be this morning but its not afterschool today

17. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

He has none. Colleges have broken up though so time on their hands.

phatsals likes this.