1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HLTA/ TA roles

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by sbfrith, Sep 16, 2019.

1. sbfrith

sbfrith New commenter

Hi all, I am looking into going part time supply while I am completing a part time degree. I live in Leicestershire and am hoping to revieve recommendations of agencies. I know you cannot name and shame on here but would appreciate PMs of any agencies to avoid. I have found one, but not sure if it is too good to be true. They have recommended that I don’t register with multiple agencies to begin with? Is this right?
    Any advice greatly appreciated
    :)

2. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

When I first started supply I registered with 3 agencies as I did not know who would give me work. Now I only work for one as they have given me plenty of work.

I would recommend that you spread your options around until you see who provides work.

agathamorse and sbfrith like this.
  3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

HI sbfrith

Welcome to the forum. Do you teach primary or secondary?

I agree with Jesmond12. Register with more than one but not too many and 3 agencies is a good balance since as Jesmond12 says, you need to know which agency/consultant is going to find you work. On a side note, it will start to pick up in about two to three week's time, so you are starting at a good time. The registration process will go quite quickly if you have a DBS Certificate on the update service and your referees respond quickly.

Another way to find good agencies is to ring the schools in your area and ask them which agencies they use and which ones in their opinion give the best customer service; that way, a pattern will develop. Also, say if you want to work at x school then if you register with the agency they use, then you will of course have a chance to go there.

Once you get into some schools, you can also ask which agencies people use.

Don't believe everything an agency tells you, but you probably know that already.

If you have time, read the new to supply thread pinned at the top of this forum. The main thing is to ensure you get paid PAYE and don't let agents fob you off on anything: pay, roles, travel, etc.

Before you register, think about what YOU want: certain days, pre-booked, age ranges, etc.

par345, agathamorse and sbfrith like this.
  4. sbfrith

sbfrith New commenter

Hi,
    Thank both for you replies. You have put my mind at rest regarding number of agencies.
    I am working with primary children haven’t ventured into secondary yet!!

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.