1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HLTA status, your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by lisahanson1, Apr 4, 2012.

1. lisahanson1

lisahanson1 New commenter

Hi folks,
    just wondering what you all think of the training for HLTA status, the headteacher at the school where i work has asked me to undertake HLTA role.

2. lisahanson1

Hi folks,
    just wondering what you all think of the training for HLTA status, the headteacher at the school where i work has asked me to undertake HLTA role.

3. I am applying for training at the moment. All I have done so far is fill out the needs analysis, which involved giving short examples of how I have met the 33 expected standards. I actually found the self evaluation required to do this very helpful. I am looking forward to the rest of the training, as it is an opportunity to show how much I have done and have to offer in my support role. I am applying for the fast track route which involves only 2 training days, so I expect to be getting a lot of work done in a short time. Although I have no guarantee of a HLTA post at the end of the process, I am still happy to do the training.

4. Hi, I have just done the HLTA training and PASSED! :) I really do think it is a worthwhile thing, I found it helps reflect on all the actual things you do in school and is interesting to meet others from different schools/settings.

There is a lot of paperwork but my advice would be GO FOR IT!, especially if you have a really supportive school who want you to do it, which was the same in my case as well.

xx

5. lisahanson1

Thanks for your reply- i didn't realise there was a fast track route. I shall look into that.

6. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

Yes, there is a 3 day route which explains how to write up the Tasks, how long they should be, how to list the standards and how to fill in the grid.You have to be working at that level already (confirmed by Headteacher) and whole class teaching as well as groups and individuals.Good Luck :)

7. I did the HLTA 3 day training and passed in Dec 2010. It is worthwhile doing especially if your head will pay you as a HLTA when you have achieved the status. HLTA's in our school only get paid when covering PPA for teachers or other occasional odd hours if a teacher is on a course or at a meeting. Cheaper than getting a supply in! I'd say go for it whilst you have the chance and the funding is there, it may not last so grab any opportunity to better yourself while you can. The half day assessment in school is very thorough and a little nerve racking but they aren't out to get you. My assessor was lovely, very friendly and easy to talk to and put me at ease. Just make sure your file is absolutely perfect and your'e halfway there! Ask lots of questions at the training days and cover the standards in the tasks. Everything will become clear when you go to the training - this probably sounds a bit jumbled, sorry!! Good luck, you can do it.

8. Good luck with the HLTA status-but remember it's a Status and not a qualification. (I think!)
    It opened up a few doors for me when I passed in 2007 but don't let the school dump extra work on you after you qualify.

9. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

Yes it is still a status but there was serious thought going into it being changed to a qualification. We were told this by our trainer and assessor.
    Actually I like the extra work I'm given.