1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HLTA - starting November

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by ciaowood, Jul 28, 2020.

1. ciaowood

ciaowood New commenter

Hi, I'm just registering to join a preparation/assessment course in November but have a few questions please. Firstly, because of Covid, the 3 days is going to be split into 6 x 2 hour online sessions: 2 one week, 2 the following week and then 2 2 weeks later. Can someone explain to me what is required to gain the status please? From what I've read, it looks like a portfolio needs to be completed for each of the standards - I guess this is explained in full over the sessions but... is it difficult to put together the portfolio? How long between the sessions to when the assessor comes in to the school? Does it take many hours say, per week, to put together the portfolio? Also, I've read that with the preparation days, tasks need to be complete - are there many to complete? Sorry for all of the questions, I'm just trying to gather as much information as possible! Any advice appreciated! Thank you.

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Hi @ciaowood, welcome to TES. I've been a HLTA for more than 10 years, working in primary. I've also worked with our LA for several years, supporting new HLTA cohorts. But yours will be a first - a very different experience! Don't get too worried about it; no-one ever has any real idea what will be expected on day 1 (I certainly didn't) but it will all become clear and you will be fine.

You will have to complete a portfolio which will show how you meet the HLTA standards. You will also collect documentary evidence to support your written tasks. There are 3 main tasks, then a further one which is made up of 4 shorter pieces.

Have a look at the national assessment partnership website - hlta.org.uk. They have all the info you need; the standards, examples of written tasks and lots more.

Meantime, enjoy the summer!

3. ciaowood

ciaowood New commenter

Ah, thanks Sunshine - that's really helpful. I'm starting a degree couse in October too so I wanted to see what the workload would be like in preparing the portfolio :D. Thank you.

sunshineneeded likes this.