1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HLTA Standard 9 or 20?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by marbles78, Jun 2, 2019.

1. marbles78

marbles78 New commenter

Me again! Overthinking my tasks again and getting muddled about the difference between standard 9 (contribute to personalised provision) and standard 20 (plan to support inclusion). This is what I've written for my group task F2 - which standard would I claim here please?

One of the children X has issues writing due to fine motor skills, so the activity needed to be fun and interactive, without too much written work. To enable X to access the learning, I decided to use a large dice that he would find easy to roll and relabelled the sides with the word types. I would write a starter sentence that contained all the word types and whichever word the child rolled, they would then have to think of a new word of that type and replace it on the starter sentence by writing on a Post-It, which would be quick and easy. I knew the children would enjoy this activity as they like being silly and we could end up with a very funny sentence! There was minimal writing so X could participate fully.

Thank you again!

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

I think you could probably claim both standards there - definitely standard 9 as you have personalised the learning so that child X can access it and make progress; I think you can also claim standard 20 if the whole class were working on word types and you have planned for this child to be included in the lesson, but in a way that allows him to access the learning.

Hope that helps!

3. marbles78

marbles78 New commenter

Thank you Sunshine - much appreciated and definitely helps :)