1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HLTA Split pay rate??

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Jojomoo, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Jojomoo

Jojomoo New commenter

Hi advice please.
    I’ve been offered a new contract to increase my current HLTA hours from 10 to 30hrs.
    However they have said that I’m going to be paid at different rates. 15hrs on upper pay band ( which is what I’ve been receiving for the 10hrs as I have sole responsibility for planning, resourcing and teaching 2 subject areas) and 15hrs on lower pay band? Can they / should they pay different rates for the same job description?? does this happen to anyone else? They are Justifying it by saying my 2 subject areas only cover 15hours of the week and the other 15 hrs are directed by the teacher. However the 2 other HLTAs we have cover/teach for 30% of their time and the rest of their hours are TA duties, yet they are paid HLTA rate (lower band) for the whole 30hrs. I really enjoy teaching the 2 subjects ( I have a level5 HND in Art&design and Forest School level2 qualifications) but feel they are taking advantage of my experience, expertise & subject knowledge.

2. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

You need to speak to your union. It looks like they are trying to pay you as a cover supervisor for some of the time.

3. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

I am so against split contracts and different rates of pay for HLTAs - it happens less than it used to, but is clearly still happening in some areas. I always feel it's like saying you don't use your HLTA skills unless you are whole class teaching ... don't they realise that you are using your high level of skills and experience in the same way when you are working with an intervention group or supporting in the classroom? It really makes me cross!!!

Sadly, I don't think there's much the union will be able to help with. I would suggest that you have a chat with your line manager and let them know how you feel - but much depends on how you feel about the school and your role. There's a lot to be said for working in a school where you're happy and enjoying your job!

4. choirta

choirta New commenter

Our primary only pays HLTA rate for the hours you are covering the teacher and taking the whole class. Some teachers ask you to plan, others plan for you, it's a mixed picture. Despite the fact that the hours are timetabled in to cover PPA they are only paid as overtime each month therefore avoiding the need to acrue extra 'holiday' pay and always mean a drop in wages over school holidays. I am the only qualified HLTA and yet all TAs who cover classes get paid the overtime at HLTA rate. It's a minefield.

My advice after 20 years, talk to your teacher. Try and negotiate subjects that you have an interest in or good subject knowledge or have practical skills in, rather than having to just teach the subject that your teacher hates! I agree with sunshineneeded that if you are happy in your school overall you'd probably be wise to find a way round this but don't let yourself be taken advantage of. If you are being paid as a TA give your all as a TA but be aware of teachers planning meetings and courses where you suddenly find yourself covering a whole class just because you do at other times. Your teacher is often not aware you are being paid at different rates unless you tell them. In my experience teachers are rarely aware of TA/HLTA pay issues and are quite surprised (and become a little more sympathetic) if you discuss the fact that you don't earn enough to pay tax most months!

Good luck!

sunshineneeded likes this.