1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HLTA Preparation/Assessment Form

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by coops1505, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I am a new teaching assistant with two terms almost under my belt. Prior to this position, I used to be a qualified level 3 nursery assistant. I am loving my new job working in a primary school in KS1. My Head has put me forward for HLTA training as she knew that I was interested in this from my interview and has said that she would write a letter in support of the application.
    Looking at the form I have to write in no more than 500 words my suitability for HLTA Status and why I consider myself to be working at a higher level, the impact of my support to learners, teachers and whole school, whilst considering the 33 standards that an HLTA should be working at or aiming to at least.
    First of all, I am thinking whether I would even be considered to be chosen to train for this with only two terms experience and the other problems is they want evidence of maths/english qualifications stapled to the application form! No idea where certificates are after 30 years!! So would probably have to complete a Learning Direct course or something to show I am working towards a relevant qualification.
    Rather long winded but in need of advice about my 500 word summary!! Help please.[​IMG]

2. Hi,
    I am a new teaching assistant with two terms almost under my belt. Prior to this position, I used to be a qualified level 3 nursery assistant. I am loving my new job working in a primary school in KS1. My Head has put me forward for HLTA training as she knew that I was interested in this from my interview and has said that she would write a letter in support of the application.
    Looking at the form I have to write in no more than 500 words my suitability for HLTA Status and why I consider myself to be working at a higher level, the impact of my support to learners, teachers and whole school, whilst considering the 33 standards that an HLTA should be working at or aiming to at least.
    First of all, I am thinking whether I would even be considered to be chosen to train for this with only two terms experience and the other problems is they want evidence of maths/english qualifications stapled to the application form! No idea where certificates are after 30 years!! So would probably have to complete a Learning Direct course or something to show I am working towards a relevant qualification.
    Rather long winded but in need of advice about my 500 word summary!! Help please.[​IMG]

3. rosyjan

rosyjan New commenter

4. You will be surprised at the experience you will have gained being a nursery assistant! The first thing I would do is to look at the standards and jot down how you might be able to meet each standard then put together your 500 words.
    Here is the handbook incase you don't have it. It does explain the standards and gives examples of how you can meet them.
    http://www.tda.gov.uk/~/media/Publications/tda0420.pdf
    I had to do something similar when I applied for funding. Good luck

5. Also, I'd check before you even start filling in the form whether they will accept you onto the HLTA Course without actually having your certificates or having completed a course if you can't find them. Given the high number of people wanting places on these courses, in some Authorities you can't even apply for the HLTA course unless you have them, working towards them is no good.