1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HLTA- PPA cover

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by scbird, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Pugwash

Pugwash New commenter

I'm applying for a post of HLTA in a secondary school at the moment and wondered if there are any HLTAs out there at secondary schools? I'll be working in the maths dept if I get the job and also wondered that since the job involves ppa cover - would I be expected to plan and teach maths lessons at secondary level? I'm a qualified (middle years) science teacher but I didn't complete induction (and never will) and as I really want to work in a secondary school in a responsible support role I thought this would be an ideal role for me.

2. loulou20

loulou20 New commenter

There seems to be a real issue here about planning. Teachers should not be expected to plan for ppa time. However hltas on here do seem to be being taken advantage of aswell. It really is an issue for the headteacher. The teacher who handed the literacy post it was probably well aware that she should not be expected to plan for ppa time.

3. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

I plan for most of the lessons. Occasionally the class teacher asks if I can include some work eg comprehension, recounts. If I am asked to teach a class because the teacher has a meeting or an appointment then they usually leave planning. Instant cover may mean I follow the day's planning or that I teach something with 5 minutes to prepare. I am paid at HLTA rate all the time and I am given PPA time.All the HLTAs in our school are paid and have PPA.I still spend time at home but I feel that is about job satisfaction.

4. Supplylady

Supplylady New commenter

5. Supplylady

Supplylady New commenter

Yes, I plan for all my lessons. 4 afternoons a week. I am currently writing reports for the subject I teach.