1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HLTA - Portfolio of Evidence

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by dreamcatcher842, Nov 2, 2017.

1. dreamcatcher842

dreamcatcher842 New commenter

Hi all,

Relatively new to posting but just need to get a few things out of my system.
    Hubby looks at me like I'm speaking a foreign language so thought I'd post here where people understand.

I'm currently part of a HLTA intake and my assessments are due to be handed in during the next week or so and I'm starting to feel stress and tension building.

I know I'm doing okay.
    I've got one assessment left to complete (small filler one for the standards that I'm lacking) and that's pretty much it on the assessment front, but the portfolio of evidence is really getting to me.

I've gathered the schools polices and referenced these in assessments and evidenced them as much as possible to relevant standards...
    I've put in numerous lesson plans that address a variety of standards...
    I've put in certificates of training and attendances of courses I've been on and have spoken about how I use these in the assessments...

but...

I feel like I'm drowning in paper work!! I feel like I don't know what I'm doing anymore and my confidence is taking a beating.

The assessors have said to see this work as a celebration of what we already do, but I don't feel much like celebrating at the minute.

I know I can get through it, but I just needed to get things out of my system before I implode into 36 standards and a million pieces of paperwork

2. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

Sounds about right. Mine was very full at the end. Photographs are your friend! They show evidence so easily also children's work.
    Leave plenty of time to do the grid as it takes longer than you think. Mind you it wasn't working when we did it and took several emails to get it sorted.

3. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Established commenter

Snugglepot is right - mine also was jam packed when I'd finished. However, I now work with new HLTA cohorts twice a year and the message is very much: make sure every piece of evidence you include is relevant and shows what you do and the impact you have made. It's not about what happens at your school, it's about you. So, if you have used a teacher's lesson plans, make sure you have highlighted and annotated the bit you want the assessor to see - remember that the assessor will have approximately one minute to look at each piece of evidence and won't have time to wade through irrelevant information. Even more important, if you are using a policy, just include the relevant page and highlight the important section. I agree - photos are fab. Record sheets can be useful, but not just a list of levels/scores achieved - need some annotation about what you are going to do with the information. I also included feedback marking - where I had marked a child's work with comments and next steps and they had responded.

Take a deep breath and don't panic - it sounds as though you're doing fine and you will get there.

Post again if you need any more help; lots of us went through exactly the same thing and remember the feeling well!

4. dreamcatcher842

Thanks both.

That's great to know that what I'm feeling is normal

That's what I've done with the policies... It's not all relevant, but there a policy hits more than one standards, I've highlighted and annotated the parts which are relevant to which task and what standard within that task.

All the lesson plans are my own, but I've annotated them like a crazy woman hightlighing which standards thay hit (one my lesson plans hits 6 standards on its own so there's a lot of pencil on that one )

I've linked my certificate qualification to standards 7, 10 and 20 as I'm improving my own knowledge, developing my area of expertise to support development and using that area to plan my role on learning activities... it just seemed to fall into the right spot

Thanks so much!
    I can see the light at the end

5. dreamcatcher842

Also, please excuse the errors in the above post. Chubbing fingers on my phone's keypad

6. snugglepot

Yes, I used two colours of highlighters on some policies and a key on the bottom. I annotated on post-its putting the colour on the top.
    It was stressed to us that everything must be relevant. I put two pieces for each std. Making sure I passed but I needn't have worried the assessor said some favourable things to the Head.

7. snugglepot

Do ask if you need any more support.