1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HLTA - Portfolio of Evidence

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by dreamcatcher842, Nov 2, 2017.

1. dreamcatcher842

dreamcatcher842 New commenter

Hi all,

Relatively new to posting but just need to get a few things out of my system.
    Hubby looks at me like I'm speaking a foreign language so thought I'd post here where people understand.

I'm currently part of a HLTA intake and my assessments are due to be handed in during the next week or so and I'm starting to feel stress and tension building.

I know I'm doing okay.
    I've got one assessment left to complete (small filler one for the standards that I'm lacking) and that's pretty much it on the assessment front, but the portfolio of evidence is really getting to me.

I've gathered the schools polices and referenced these in assessments and evidenced them as much as possible to relevant standards...
    I've put in numerous lesson plans that address a variety of standards...
    I've put in certificates of training and attendances of courses I've been on and have spoken about how I use these in the assessments...

but...

I feel like I'm drowning in paper work!! I feel like I don't know what I'm doing anymore and my confidence is taking a beating.

The assessors have said to see this work as a celebration of what we already do, but I don't feel much like celebrating at the minute.

I know I can get through it, but I just needed to get things out of my system before I implode into 36 standards and a million pieces of paperwork

2. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

Sounds about right. Mine was very full at the end. Photographs are your friend! They show evidence so easily also children's work.
    Leave plenty of time to do the grid as it takes longer than you think. Mind you it wasn't working when we did it and took several emails to get it sorted.

3. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Established commenter

Snugglepot is right - mine also was jam packed when I'd finished. However, I now work with new HLTA cohorts twice a year and the message is very much: make sure every piece of evidence you include is relevant and shows what you do and the impact you have made. It's not about what happens at your school, it's about you. So, if you have used a teacher's lesson plans, make sure you have highlighted and annotated the bit you want the assessor to see - remember that the assessor will have approximately one minute to look at each piece of evidence and won't have time to wade through irrelevant information. Even more important, if you are using a policy, just include the relevant page and highlight the important section. I agree - photos are fab. Record sheets can be useful, but not just a list of levels/scores achieved - need some annotation about what you are going to do with the information. I also included feedback marking - where I had marked a child's work with comments and next steps and they had responded.

Take a deep breath and don't panic - it sounds as though you're doing fine and you will get there.

Post again if you need any more help; lots of us went through exactly the same thing and remember the feeling well!

UnazaImran likes this.
  4. dreamcatcher842

Thanks both.

That's great to know that what I'm feeling is normal

That's what I've done with the policies... It's not all relevant, but there a policy hits more than one standards, I've highlighted and annotated the parts which are relevant to which task and what standard within that task.

All the lesson plans are my own, but I've annotated them like a crazy woman hightlighing which standards thay hit (one my lesson plans hits 6 standards on its own so there's a lot of pencil on that one )

I've linked my certificate qualification to standards 7, 10 and 20 as I'm improving my own knowledge, developing my area of expertise to support development and using that area to plan my role on learning activities... it just seemed to fall into the right spot

Thanks so much!
    I can see the light at the end

5. dreamcatcher842

Also, please excuse the errors in the above post. Chubbing fingers on my phone's keypad

6. snugglepot

Yes, I used two colours of highlighters on some policies and a key on the bottom. I annotated on post-its putting the colour on the top.
    It was stressed to us that everything must be relevant. I put two pieces for each std. Making sure I passed but I needn't have worried the assessor said some favourable things to the Head.

7. snugglepot

Do ask if you need any more support.

8. dreamcatcher842

Thank you so much all for your support.
    I found out this week that I passed!!
    All the paperwork was worth it

Have a lovely Christmas

9. sunshineneeded

Fantastic! Well done - and what a lovely time of year to find out that you've passed. Have a very merry Christmas as you celebrate in style! x

dreamcatcher842 likes this.
  10. snugglepot

Oh that is brilliant. Great that they told you before Christmas. I still have all that paperwork. Make sure you get paid properly.

11. Sallypurell

Sallypurell New commenter

Can you help me with what sort of evidence you provided for standard 1, high expectations, like classroom rules, behaviour policy, etc.

12. sunshineneeded

Hi Sallypurell. Standard 1 is not just about high expectations of behaviour - it's also about having high expectations for children's achievement. So you could use a lesson plan where your differentiation will show that you are aiming for every child to achieve their maximum. You could use a teacher's plan where every child in your group quickly understood the learning objective (Maths?) so you extended it further. You could identify a small group who were not quite getting a concept (Maths again?) and plan a session to consolidate. If you used that one, photocopies of a child's work, before and after your session - marked by you - would be evidence. Could also be used for other standards too. I think it's possibly easier to evidence standard 1 this way than by focussing on behaviour. Good luck and come back to us if you need any more help.

Sallypurell likes this.
  13. Sallypurell

Sallypurell New commenter

I have completed my F1; on individual for adapting plan to use resources for x tables, repeated addition. F2: handwriting intervention, whole class pshe internet safety, other tasks, struggling, how could I use standard 1 here. I’m not too bad on other standards, but finding this one tricky. X

14. sunshineneeded

When the assessor visits, he or she will have half an hour to look at your evidence before they meet you - that's less than a minute per standard! So they won't want to be wading through piles of paper - you just need to have covered the standard really well once in your tasks, and provide one piece of quality evidence for the visit, then have one or two more mentions of the standard in other tasks - you could provide a second piece of evidence if you had another strong one, but it isn't necessary.
    F3 is usually the best one for covering and evidencing standard 1 - are you planning the lesson yourself? Or planning with the teacher? I'm sure you can evidence your high expectations there.

15. snugglepot

Hi
    Sunshine has given you good advice. I will dig mine out tomorrow and have a look for you. Don't forget anything not covered can be used by the assessor to ask a question.

16. dreamcatcher842

1. 'Have high expectations of children and young people with a commitment to helping them fulfill their potential.'

For this standard, my evidence was IEP's and an oral testimony from the head.

The IEP's was a hard document to show how the interventions I delivered help them attain these targets... I had one from October (initial review of the year) and February (the review, which showed the progress and new targets)

I was knew the head would say the right things to help evidence this standard.

Hope that helps.
    Let me know if I can help in anyway

18. Hi
    I am attending day 1 of the HLTA training.
    Have not been given any information on what to prepare for.
    Any advice please

19. sunshineneeded

Don't worry, they will give you all the information you need when you get there - no-one really knows what to expect. You will find that everyone in the group is as nervous as you are! You will need to 'write up' (in essay form) three main tasks - one with an individual child, one with a group and one whole class teaching. You will also complete four shorter tasks and collect a portfolio of evidence to show how you meet the HLTA standards.
    My only advice would be - have a look at the standards online, but don't let them worry you. How you are meeting them will all become clear on your training days. Also, if by any chance you are not doing any whole class cover at the moment, talk to your class teacher or line manager - this is something you will need to be doing.
    I hope you enjoy your HLTA prep! There's no denying it's stressful, but it will be worth it. Good luck!

20. dreamcatcher842

I was so nervous before my 1st day and felt extremely underprepared.
    When I got there and spoke to others, we all felt the same!

There is nothing to prepare for the first one. One thing we had to do in our area was take our English and Maths certificates to confirm we had the levels we stated on the application. Maybe dig these out just in case.

The first session is busy! There's a lot to cover in a day and at the end you may feel overwhelmed... I know I did as well as some others in my intake.

Please don't let it worry it, everyone else is feeling the same.

Take advantage of the people running the course! They had most likely been through it to and can offer some great advice!

If you have any questions, ask away