1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HLTA pay

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Reklaw, May 26, 2008.

1. When would you not be doing HLTA tasks? HLTAs work with individuals, groups AND whole classes (not just whole classes).

2. We're only classed as HLTA's when we're standing in for the class teacher in a whole class situation. Seems unfair doesn't it?

3. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

Same at our school they are paid HLTA when covering for a teacher, the rest of the time they are employed as teaching assistants.

4. chey

chey New commenter

I am paid at HLTA rate for all my hours - I dont suddenly 'downgrade' my working practice.

5. It's not only unfair, it goes completely against the spirit of the Workforce Agreement, which was what brought HLTA into being in the first place. For HLTA you provide evidence of working to the HLTA standards all the time, i.e in every aspect of your work.

For goodness sake, contact your union, get other people who are paid like this involved and try and get something done about it. In our LA HLTAs are employed and paid at HLTA level all the time. If a non-HLTA TA is required to cover PPA they are paid 1, 2, or 3 (depending on how many times a week they cover for) increments on their salary scale.

If you google 'The Way Forward' you should come up with a copy of the Workforce Agreement doc. which gives specimen JDs for each TA 'level'. You may also find the guidance docs issued by the Remodelling group.

6. PS I should have pointed out that the arrangements in our LA were the result of Unison negotiation. You'd wait for ever if you waited for your employer to realise the 'unfairness' of your situation...

7. bluebell27

bluebell27 New commenter

Hang on a minute!
    HLTA status shows that you have been working to a certain standard of which you have shown evidence of.
    ONE [only one] of those tasks involve whole class work. So how come your head teachers will pay you it when covering for other teachers but not the rest of the week?

Basically because it is a lot cheaper to pay you at that rate than it is to pay a teacher doing the same job. So that's okay then isn't it? School are benefiting here.

I bet many heads say/LA who ever pays your salary that they can't afford to pay the higher rate full time.

WHAT IS THE POINT OF HAVING HLTA STATUS IF IT IS NOT BEING RECOGNISED?.

You could question the morality of having it when needed in class but not recognised at other times.

However, the other argument is that many TAs haven't gone for HLTA status for various reasons but are still doing the job to a standard of HLTA [just haven't got the bits and pieces to say so] So it could be said that you are only doing the job you were doing before HLTA status, but covering in class for teachers is a NEW role not previously expected of TAs. so it is that bit that will gain the extra salary.

8. This makes my blood boil!!!

If you are HLTA you should be paid as such for ALL your employed hours - I agree with maizie - contact your union asap!

Rek