1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HLTA or ELSA

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by A5hluca5, Oct 7, 2019.

1. A5hluca5

A5hluca5 New commenter

Are there any HLTA's out there who are also ELSAs (Emotional Literacy Support Assistant) ? I have been a HLTA and an ELSA for over ten years. I have always covered some PPA, supported a class and worked for five hours a week in the ELSA role. This year (due to new management) the amount of PPA I cover has been increased and the class support element decreased. I have also been told today that I should never have been graded as a HLTA if I am an ELSA as ELSAs are not part of the HLTA role profile. Originally I was told I would need to be graded a HLTA as that was the pay scale for the emotional support role. I am concerned that the emotional support element of my role may be lost due to the extra PPA cover. I would be interested to hear from other ELSAs and what grades they are on.

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Can't help with the ELSA but when I worked as a TA I was only paid at the HLTA rate when covering PPA or for a teacher's absence. When doing classroom support I was paid as a TA.

sunshineneeded likes this.
  3. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Like Wotton, I know nothing about ELSA but have been a HLTA for more than 10 years. What you describe is happening for HLTAs everywhere - more class cover for PPA, meetings, management time, sickness cover - you name it, we are asked to cover. HLTAs are doing less and less interventions and classroom support. Do you have 'official' HLTA status - have you completed the 3 day assessment preparation and been assessed by a recognised assessor? If so, and you are employed as a HLTA, I don't think they can change you salary - but they can certainly change your role and you may well find that the emotional support part is lost. It's very sad - many HLTAs have a very high level of skill in their area of expertise which is simply not being used to full nowadays.

Wotton likes this.
  4. A5hluca5

A5hluca5 New commenter

Thank you Wotton and Sunshineneeded, yes I have official status and did go through the 3 day assessment over ten years ago. Although this was originally sold to me on the basis I needed this grade for the emotional support work the PPA cover has increased. I too think it is sad but will, unfortunately, have to accept the increase in teaching and decrease in other support areas. Such a shame as I have helped my school gain awards in mental health areas and an outstanding emotional and social element to the Ofsted inspections. It may be time for me to bow out of education and move on to pastures new - maybe even early retirement! I think I would find it too difficult to sit back and watch the ELSA role be under valued. Not what I had planned but it is what it is.

5. Gsr25

Gsr25 Occasional commenter

This is such a shame. It seems when you are trained in things such as ELSA, thrive or nurture, which takes more time and paperwork than the usual TA duties, that schools take the mickey and don’t pay the deserved grade. I’ve seen it many times, and it’s not ok but schools get around it by saying things like oh you only have small groups and not whole classes therefore you aren’t entitled to HLTA rate.