1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HLTA monthly take home pay

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by ale01, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

Your rates are almost certainly more typical than ours to be honest, glenn - it was a sad day when the current government abolished the School Support Staff National Negotiating board before they could even begin to look at standardising terms and conditions in a similar way to those for teachers. Even more sadly, it looks like the next step is to completely abolish national terms for teachers too and let it become a free-for-all, where highest rates will be paid according to supply and demand rather than on the professional skills and expertise of qualified teachers. Twenty year s ago no-one would have believed it could happen!

2. We take home approx £1500 for a 37 hour week 42 weeks a year contract quite lucky it would seem

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. Although of course the reality is often 50 hours a week!!!

Supplylady likes this.
  4. peterjelf

peterjelf New commenter

Blimey... I am a primary teacher who's a bit sick of working 60 hours a week, and WAS considering changing to a (less-stressful???) TA/HLTA role somewhere.
    BUT, at the salaries which some of you are quoting, I'm not sure I can!

Supplylady likes this.
  5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

You are indeed.

Supplylady likes this.
  6. LeftTheBuilding

LeftTheBuilding Occasional commenter

Check the tax code and if it's wrong, your employer should refund via your monthly pay.

7. jkosla

jkosla New commenter

Hi, im not sure if I have posted this in the right place but I wondered if anyone can shed some light on my question? I cover as a HLTA in my infant school. I am asked to cover a morning session and the doors open at 8:45am and the register is taken at 9:55. I have queried how many hours I should claim for bearing in mind I have to get the class ready. I have been told it's 3 hours 9 till 12. I am told that setting up the class is covered as a TA. This would mean I am not legally allowed to register the children as a TA. I also have to sort out books, planning for the mornings work and equipment.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Don't take the register until 9am. Do you have a TA in with you, if so get them to help. This seems to be quite common now.

jkosla likes this.
  9. emilyhaworth

emilyhaworth New commenter

I have got an interview for a HLTA job and the starting salary is £23866 to £ 28221 Pro rata. What would my income be per month after tax??

10. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Your guess is as good as mine! But the salary quoted is probably for a 35 or 37 hour week, all year round. You would need to pro-rata it to 39 weeks per year (term time) plus 5 weeks holiday and the number of hours you will be doing per week. If you search, there are old threads on here where people have given a formula for working it out. Sadly, it usually turns out to be less than you think - HLTA rates are better than TA, but not a great deal. But best of luck with the interview!

11. consuela8

consuela8 New commenter

Hello everyone! What does HLTA PAY scale 6 and Pays scale 4 mean? Where can I find these scales? Thank you in advance!

12. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Probably refers to the APTC pay scales - you will find info if you google. It might not give the scale any more, just spine points - scale 4 is spine point 18 through to 21; scale 6 is spine point 26 - 28. But remember, the salary quoted with be for 37 hours a week, 52 weeks a year. By the time it's pro rata'd to the hours you work and term time only, it doesn't look anything like that!

13. Supplylady

Supplylady New commenter

That is so true!

14. Supplylady

Supplylady New commenter

You might be better off working as a part time teacher than working as a full-time HLTA.