1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HLTA monthly take home pay

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by ale01, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Hi everyone!

I recently started working at a primary academy, as a 'full-time' HLTA (Pay scale F1). My contract states that the salary is 14880 and that I am being paid for 25 hrs a week (9 - 3, minus lunch hour). I was shocked yesterday to see that my 1st monthly payment was a mere 456 quid! Surely this cannot be right?! I was expecting it to be somewhere around the 900/1000 mark?

There are lots of further formulae in the contract for calculating hourly pay etc...but unfortanately, I don't have Steven Hawking sat next to me to explain them all.

I would be extremely grateful if anyone in a similar sort of role to mine, could let me know whether this is reasonable...because if it is, then I would be far better off at home on Jobseekers Allowance, looking after my little girl!

Cheers.

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

The problem is every authority and most academies all have their own pay scales. 25 hours will not be full time so you need to find out if the salary quoted was full time and if so your pay will be pro rata. Is your contract for 38 or 39 weeks ie including inset. You don't get paid for holidays.

3. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

Damn - just wrote a reply and the blooming computer ate it up and spat it out into the ether! Here goes again:

This is some guidance I have posted but it may not be any help to you - do you know if the rate quoted is for your actual 25 hours or for full-time equivalent of 36.5? Perhaps the figures they've given you would work in the calculation.

community.tes.co.uk/.../696541.aspx

Using this method I think you should be on a gross pay of around £742 or, if the rate is for just for the 25 hours it would be nearer £1084 gross.

As Wotton says, LAs and, nowadays, individual schools, can pay what they like if people will work for it. You need to get in touch with someone in administration and ask them to talk to the wages office or give you contact details for someone who can help you.

Check that you really are being paid the correct rate for HLTA - have you worked the full month or did you start a bit later because of holidays?

Good luck - I would also be shocked (and horrified) to receive that amount of pay for a month!

4. Cheers for response. Contract says it is for 43 paid weeks at 25 hrs a week...doesnt mention inset??

As a qualified teacher, I just walked into the job assuming that I had a rough idea of what I'd be earning - based on the fact that the average monthly take home pay for a TA is about 980. Regardless of the 25hrs - full time / part time confusion, 456 month (5400 net a year) just seems like a joke - it just cannot be right?! Not that I particularly want to, but I could make the same amount doing 3 days supply teaching!

I'm obviously going to take this up with the Head on Monday, I just didn't want to come across completely ignorant...which I clearly am!

5. Thanks for your response...I was shocked and horrified indeed! I really can't get my head around the contract - despite the fact that I used to be a Maths coordinator! I will indeed be talking to someone on Monday about this - and if it turns out to be the right amount, then I'm out of there!

With a young family, I just wanted to take a bit of a 'back-seat' from teaching full time - and thought this role would be more rewarding than doing supply teaching. With hindsight, I could be wrong...will wait and see!

6. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

An HLTA in my LA would be on £20,000 + full time but it never is as although you are in school all day everyday full time relates to the 36 or so hours that other employees of the LA may work. I'm surprised that it is for 43 weeks as the pupils are only in for 38 and teachers for 39 the extra week covering the 5 inset days.

Most TAs in my LA would be on a scale which paid a salary between £15,000 and £17,300 depending on the point. However no one would ever receive the full amount as it would always be pro rata.

I'm at the top of my scale, work part time and get paid £343.00/mth before any tax or NI. Two neighbouring LAs pay much less.

Your pay does seem very low as I'm not HLTA.

7. Trekkie

Trekkie Occasional commenter

I work 25 hrs pw and I'm a Senior TA (level 2). My annual salary is approx. £11,700 and I would be on the pay point below an HLTA so £14,800 sounds about right. I would think that your net monthly pay should be around £900+ based on my pay. Problem is we are all different so who knows!!

Have you been put on emergency tax code - it does happen!

Bumptious likes this.
  8. Cheers for advice. I researched and found similar salary equivalents (20,000ish +) for HLTA, which is why I assumed my contracted 14880 would be the amount - after taking away the holiday weeks etc.

Can I ask what your part time hours are - on that wage?

9. Thats good to hear thanks...900+ was about what I was expecting; I think there must have been a tax-related mistake, as I have just finished working as a full-time teacher at xmas - on the upper pay scale, probably paying more tax a month than I've just been paid!

All this being said, I so much prefer working in this role and having family time in the evening/weekends...so I really hope I can sort it out!

10. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

I work 10.5 hours but I'm stuck on this scale as the next point in on the next scale which I will not be moved to.

Make sure you check your tax code. Our LA is well known to the tax office for using the emergency tax code.It may well be related to your old job as they predict your earnings to work out the tax or something like that. OK now I remember they base it on your previous earnings (all too complicated for me). I know once mine seemed wrong but it balances out somewhere. (Someone did explain it to me). But best to ask the money person at school ours is all done by the LA.

11. For comparison, in my LA HLTA's start on SCP26 which is £22,937

www.unitetheunion.org/.../LGS%20Pay%202014-15-1611-20697.pdf

but it does vary between LAs

When you work that out for 25hrs term time it is typically something like

22,937 *25/37 *43/52 (25hrs, FT=37hrs; 43weeks = 39 term weeks + 4 weeks leave)

which is £12815pa

£1067 gross per month.

As you started in Jan (on the 5th?) they may have only paid you for 27/31 days this month, so the gross would be £930 for Jan.

Definitely check your tax code - as you we're earning more previously you should be getting a small tax refund every month until March (as the way PAYE works in simple terms is it assumes you are going to carry on earning at the same rate all tax year)

Your tax code should probably be 1000L (that is standard personal allowance)

Was your gross about right? If yes then take it up with payroll rather than the head!

12. Trekkie

Trekkie Occasional commenter

Meant to type ... Senior TA (level 3). [​IMG]

13. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

If you check out the link on betsy boop's post you will see that £14880 is the OLD rate for spine point 11 - in our LA that would be a starter on level 2 (we do not have any level 1 jobs in our authority) so if they are trying to claim they're paying you as an HLTA they are just taking the p***. Unfortunately, as people keep saying, schools, especially academies, can do anything they like - think you need to go to management and tell them you are not going to be taken for a fool. I know that my LA pay the highest rates (along with some others, they are not alone) but i have just checked the vacancies and an HLTA starts on spine point 29 at a full-time rate of £25440 - obviously no-one works full-time but, even so, it makes your pay look a bit pathetic!

I agree that wages may have taken deductions from you but they shouldn't have if you provided them with your P45 - did you? If you haven't had it from your last employer yet you need to make a huge fuss with them - PAYE does indeed return any tax overpaid but it won't do it if they don't have the correct information for you so I suggest you chase that up if you haven't got all the documentation.

14. I really had no idea about all the varieties in TA/HLTA pay scales - or that calculating my wage would be so ambiguous!

Big thanks to everyone for all your helpful advice. I feel far more armed now to tackle this tomorrow with the powers that be.

15. stargirl81

stargirl81 New commenter

I know you have probably done this but check they have your tax code right! My first pay check as a TA i almost cried, it was awful! Then realised my tax code was wrong.. got it all back the next month, and now although it's still not fantastic its a lot more than that first one! Thank god!

16. I agree - sounds like a tax code to me. :)

17. glenn_xp

glenn_xp New commenter

Can I ask what LA you work for please Ophelia?

18. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

Have sent you a private message, glenn - check your inbox.

19. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

HLTA rate £22,937 - £23,698

TA 16,969-£17,372

This is for 37 hours.

I hope you get it sorted out as that seems very low. I work 28 hrs and get just over £1,000 in my hand so yes I do think it is far to low. As others have said it could be emergency code or a mistake. I hope you get it sorted soon :)

20. glenn_xp

glenn_xp New commenter

Cheers Ophelia.

I am seriously working for the wrong LA. 16500 seems the max for TA and 20000 for HLTA where I am, before all the pro rataing down.