1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HLTA job to get into teaching, get experinece, and then do NQT year?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by TheoGriff, Jul 17, 2011.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Being unemployed is awful.
    Apart from no money - or just JSA - you feel worthless, depressed. You also want to be in a school playing your part with the pupils.
    So any job in a school is better than none, and HLTA is pretty good. Which is where the problem is. . . .
    There are so many unemployed teachers that most schools are getting large numbers of qualified teachers applying for TA and HLTA posts . . . so the competition is almost as fierce as for a teaching post.
    Go for it - but don't think that it will be a walk-over just because you have got a PGCE. You will probably find that other applicants not only have that, but some have experience as teachers too. So apply carefully and prepare well for an interview if you are shortlisted - use the clickables inside the Welcome thread to help you.
    Best of luck
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

2. Thanks very much. I have an interview tomorrow for an HLTA post. I am preparing and thanks for making me aware of the job situation. I guess if I don't get it I won't beat myself up as much now I know there is huge competition here also.

3. Dear Theo and all,
    Maybe this should be a separate post. I've had 3 interviews up to now for class teacher roles. All have included classroom observations. Are there some helpful tips on these? I had one lesson observation for a whole hour and one for 15 minutes and one where they just wanted to see how I interacted with the children (that was in an SEN school). Now I have an observation tomorrow for 30 mins (for an HLTA post) but I don't have to prepare a lesson plan. I don't know what class or subject I will te teaching and I don't know what resources I will be using. Is there any way I could prepare for this?
    Thanks