1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HLTA interview

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by slavetotherhythm91, Jan 28, 2020.

1. slavetotherhythm91

slavetotherhythm91 New commenter

Hi everyone,

I have a HLTA interview coming up and wanted some advice. They are asking to me teach a short PSE activity of your choice (20 minutes). The children taking part will be from Year 3 and will have a range of ALN needs.

Can anyone give me any suggestions as what to do and materials to use?

Thanks.

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Hi slavetotherhythm91, congratulations on getting the interview. There are lots of ideas on-line - some very good ones on TES. I've used slides from the 'Me and My Feelings' powerpoint (free to download) on here before. I particularly like the 'What targets might these people be trying to achieve?' one. Lots of opportunities for paired/shared discussion before you get them to think about what they want to achieve by the end of year 3/end of primary school. HLTA jobs cover such a wide spread of roles, but I would think, at interview, they will ask you about whole class cover (since we all have to do so much of that now!); your understanding of the curriculum; behaviour management; how you know that learning has moved forwards; safeguarding - to name but a few!
    Very best of luck and let us know how it goes.

slavetotherhythm91 likes this.
  3. slavetotherhythm91

slavetotherhythm91 New commenter

Thank you for your reply! Unfortunately I didn’t get the post, but there were a few red flags about the school that maybe was saying it wasn’t meant to be. It was an up and coming one (Primary) which only had up to year 3. Still expanding, but head teacher off on sick (not a great sign)! It was my first HLTA interview so it’s all good experience.

All that was a pain was the vagueness surrounding the 20 minute activity they asked me to do. I did a session based on friendship and wrote up a lesson plan for it. Trouble is, for ALN I think they needed a game.

Any advice for HLTA interviews going forward would be much appreciated.