1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HLTA interview task - Maths activity for Y3 chn

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by jentershikari9, Jan 12, 2016.

1. jentershikari9

jentershikari9 New commenter

Hello there,

I have an interview for a HLTA position this Friday and have been asked to lead a group of 12 Year 3 children in a maths or literacy activity, for a 20min session.

I am considering doing a maths lesson, as I feel more confident in being able to differentiate for maths!

Does anyone have any good ideas for a short 20min maths lesson for 12 children from Y3?

Any advice would be much appreciated - I am feeling nervous!

2. ilovepoppies

ilovepoppies New commenter

You need to come up with your own ideas. Have a look at the new curriculum to give you ideas. Good luck.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

As this is for an HLTA post you need to show evidence you know how to plan as well as deliver, so yes you need to come up with your own ideas.

So start from what you'd like the children to 'discover/ practice' in the session.
    That gives you a Learning Intention or Focus or Objective.
    Then how will you introduce that? Teacher input / children 'discovering' for themselves in groups / looking at some information?
    Are the children going to discuss / make written notes / feedback to the class?
    How will you assess what they've learnt / discovered?