1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HLTA Help

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by charmaine11, Jan 5, 2019.

1. charmaine11

charmaine11 New commenter

Hi,

I am very close to completing the HLTA programme (my assignments are due in on Tuesday!) so I'm reading through all my tasks and sorting out any loose ends.

I think I'm pretty much there with it all, but I'm having a last minute panic over Standard 1. On day 1, the facilitator went through each standard and we were told Standard 1 was about giving the children new opportunities (trips, clubs etc) so I wrote a mop up task about an after school club that I've been running thinking it would strongly tick off that standard, but now that I'm going back through it I'm suddenly not so sure I'm on the right track with this one.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Hi charmaine11, well done - you're nearly there! Standard 1 is all about having high expectations to ensure all children reach their full potential. Good evidence for it could be:
    - your after school club, if it's an IT, Maths or similar to develop skills. Or, if it's to develop social skills and you can explain that these are specifically chosen children whose lack of these skills is having an impact on their academic achievement.
    - being very clear about behaviour expectations at the beginning of a lesson you are teaching and returning to these expectations when needed (documentary evidence in your lesson plan).
    - focussing on a child/group who were having problems with a particular area (eg long multiplication) and devising a short intervention to help them catch-up. You could even include some IT in this (times tables apps) to make it more fun!
    - strategies you have devised and implemented to support specific children to access the curriculum, eg EAL pupils, children with emotional problems who have difficulty concentrating.

Hope this gives you some ideas; please post again if you need any further help.

3. charmaine11

Thankyou so much for your reply. I'm at the stage where I'm questioning everything so thankyou for putting my mind at ease.

Do you have any tips on questions that the assessor may ask? We've been told not to worry about the interview but I'm already very nervous and want to be as prepared as possible!

Thankyou again

4. sunshineneeded

Try not to get too nervous - I know everyone does (I definitely did!) - but it's never as bad as you think. Make sure you have organised a quiet room for the assessor to work in and have your documentary evidence folder in there ready, beautifully cross referenced, etc. If there are any standards where your evidence seems on the weaker side, they will ask you about those. I remember being asked, "You've told us about assessment here. Can you give me another example of an assessment you've done recently?" Another common question is, "How do you know that learning has moved forwards in your lesson?" The assessor won't give you any idea how you've done, so don't worry about that - mine didn't even smile very much! Best of luck, I'm sure you'll be fine - let us know how it goes.

5. charmaine11

Hi sunshineneeded,

Sorry it's taken me ages to reply, my email notifications randomly stopped so I didn't know to check my account!

It was such an intense afternoon, and I found my first round of interview with the assessor much easier than the second but it was all worth it and I passed! Even though they'd prepared us that nothing would be given away on the day about how we'd done I still couldn't believe how good she was at keeping it to herself, I really had no clue! She was lovely though and I was able to ask her to elaborate on things if I wasn't sure what she was looking for.

Thankyou so much for all your help!

6. sunshineneeded

Hi Charmaine - congratulations! You're right, it is a very intense morning or afternoon - but all the hard work is worth it when you get the result. I'm sure your school were very pleased and I hope you are enjoying your role now. Best of luck in the future x

7. charmaine11

Thank you! I actually completed the HLTA programme before a role was available, and I have an interview for a HLTA post next week! I think I've sorted my teaching task, but do you have any tips on the kind of questions that may be asked?

8. sunshineneeded

Assuming they want you to cover PPA, I'm sure there will be at least one behaviour scenario. They will also ask something about safeguarding. They might ask you to describe a lesson you have taught which went very well - how did you assess that learning had progressed? Best of luck with the interview!