1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HLTA cover hours and pay

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Nitashapall, Feb 8, 2013.

1. YEY Big up Lara, UR so right how many times have we had a random supply who has no knowledge of class and characters and topic and expectations, especially in KS 1> So at end of day you end up doing everything and the supply (gawd bless em) gets paid 200 quid for a day of looking pretty, This is not me being nasty it is just the truth...bronco,Oliver et al
    [​IMG]

2. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

I work for the school not the county team. The Headteacher is in charge of the school, the SMT manage the school and make the decisions.The Headteacher/SMT decided to make some of the STAs HLTAs, after we completed the training and passed the assessment. It was then decided that a teacher and the HLTAs would teach the children when the teachers took their PPA. We knew the children, the teaching staff and even some of the parents (shows how long I've been there.) There has been a shortage of good supply in this area and some of the children run rings around NQTs and other supply.We have also covered in times of sudden illness or occasions when it is needed. We are valued by the staff who we work with and by SMT. I do the job I'm asked to do.I put everything into it.I have been told I do a good job I'm sorry that some people disagree with it and you are entitled to your opinion but I don't work for you. Bronco if you have such a problem with it shouldn't you be saying your piece to the Headteachers because it is the Heads that ask us to cover and/ or teach in PPA time. Oliver you still haven't answered my question.

3. "Oliver you still haven't answered my question." Sorry! I'd have to say Michael Buble.

Acronym city.

4. In 30 years of teaching I have never received £200 a day either in a full time role or as a supply teacher and I have certainly never looked pretty.
    As for the usual red herring of a supply teacher not knowing the class and characters, topic and expectations that would almost always be the fault of the school.
    While I was able to work as a supply teacher I have arrived at schools on many occasions and not been able to gain immediate entry because there was no mony in the office to admit me. I would then be directed to the class room without being told anything about the school or the layout. In the classroom I would have to look around for such things as class lists, lesson plans and lesson timings and would find nothing.
    The only time I would see a class list would be in the register which would of course have to be returned to the school office. I would only be able to find out the names of pupils by looking through any sets of books that may be left in the class room. I would not be able to talk to the class teacher or a teacher of a neighbouring class and the TA would not arrive until 9 am or 10 minutes after the start of registration so I would not be able to get information needed.
    I am not saying that this would happen on every occasion but it has happened on more occasions than I could count. Despite that on all occasions I have been able to teach the class properly and not just supervised them.
    All this has been in primary schools but on those occasions when I have had to cover in secondary schools the situation has been far worse and I have not been able to get work details until I arrived at the classroom often after moving from one room to another.

Supplylady likes this.
  5. Stacod1978

Stacod1978 New commenter

I have been a TA for 18 years and we have always marked work . At a minimum the group you work with for each lesson which is at least 8 per lesson so a minimum of 16 a day . I would like to know now that I’m HLTA and will be covering PPA how I will mark those groups plus the whole class’ work for the lesson I cover every afternoon ? I feel that I will actually be marking more than a teacher

6. annie2020

annie2020 New commenter

That's exactly what started to put me off HLTA work. I often did not have a lunch break, stayed late or took books home (when it was still allowed) to catch up on marking. Speak to each teacher that you cover lessons for to see what they expect from you marking-wise. Point our your lack of time if need be and perhaps the need to end each lesson earlier with quiet reading or similar so that you can get the marking done before your next group or class.

Supplylady likes this.
  7. Kateray1

Kateray1 Occasional commenter

Hi all
    I left my hlta post last year after the school had finance problems and said my job was being axed.

I worked in secondary science and at the end of my time there worked 50% teaching timetable with all teacher responsibilities including own lesson planning marking assessment and testing parents evening , form tutor and lunch duties. I also covered lessons for the whole school. I was grade 8 for pay.

8. Supplylady

Supplylady New commenter

Hello,
    I work as a HLTA now, after working as a supply teacher for many years. I cover PPA 4 afternoons a week and have one afternoon PPA. If teachers are absent I cover the morning lessons (as I'm covering elsewhere in the afternoons).

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  9. Kateray1

Ha! No matron here ! However the schools do. I have a friend who has just resigned due to having to ‘cover’ lessons in which she was expected to teach the work the teacher set, and that it was the teachers asking her to do that! HLTA level is slightly different as it’s a graduate post. In my situation I had a 50% teaching timetable which included all lesson planning assessments parents evening marking and no supervision from any one.

10. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

HLTA isn't a graduate post. You may have a degree but it isn't a requirement.

11. Kateray1

Sorry. I was told differently. It’s even hard now to get a TA post without being a graduate. Just speaking from experience here.

12. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

This is a very old thread. Not sure why people resurrected old posts instead of starting new ones but heigh ho!
    It isn't a graduate posts but some student teachers are offered to complete it as it gives another opportunity for employment. I am not a graduate but the HLTA assessor I had was from a University which may be part of the confusion. My Nurture Practitioner qualification was also marked by the same university. I wish I had been able to complete my teacher training but due to family and distance I wasn't able to continue though I was offered a place.
    I am still working as a HLTA and I am now teaching more than ever and I do mark the books as I taught the lesson! I cover PPA from Reception to Year 6. My pay has now reached where it was before Single Status woo hoo! PPA time is being reviewed.