1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

HLTA Course?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by petchy69, Feb 7, 2017.

  1. petchy69

    petchy69 New commenter

    Can anyone recommend an HLTA course that actually leads to HLTA status? I would like to support one of my TA's through the process, but want her to gain a meaningful qualification. I've found several online, but they seem to be accredited by organisations that I don't really know. We are based in the West Midlands if that helps at all. Any ideas?

  2. sunshineneeded

    sunshineneeded Star commenter

    Hi Phil
    I would be very wary of the online courses ... the only way to obtain HLTA status is to attend the 3-day preparation course, submit a portfolio of written tasks and collect documentary evidence to support this, then be assessed in school by a recognised assessor.
    The website hlta.org.uk will give you details of the regional providers of assessment in your area (I think it's Best Practice Network) and has lots of other information about the training, etc.
    Good luck to your TA - post on here if you need any more details.
  3. petchy69

    petchy69 New commenter

    Very useful, thanks!
  4. mrmatt73

    mrmatt73 Occasional commenter

    I did mine with the Eastern Learning Centre but your Local Authority may have a preferred one. If your school is an Academy, I guess you can pick and choose.
  5. Pomza

    Pomza Star commenter

    Unless there is a local school/LA specific policy that states otherwise, schools can appoint whoever they like to a HLTA position - No courses or qualifications are actually required.

    HLTA can often be a stepping-stone to QTS - I know of several who worked as HLTAs whilst completing part-time PGCEs / BAeds etc.
  6. sunshineneeded

    sunshineneeded Star commenter

    You are quite right - schools can appoint whoever they want to a HLTA post - but, in our LEA, all HLTAs hold or are preparing for HLTA status. Even though there is (sadly) no longer government funding for the preparation and assessment, it is still a nationally recognised status which can be transferred anywhere.
  7. snugglepot

    snugglepot Occasional commenter

    Yes, the same with our LEA. I have not met anyone that doesn't have HLTA Status or a PGCE that is being paid as a HLTA.
    I completed mine with Edgehill University. The tutor was brilliant and the assessor was from a different county ( because there was so many to assess) and said some very lovely things to my boss about my work. Both were very professional. I was very impressed with Edgehill. I also studied with them for Nurture Practioner training and when I took my work down I was given a tour of the Education Dept.

    I have warned people before about online courses petchy69 as they say " Study HLTA with us blah, blah, blah" but if you read the small print they do not give you the Status as they are not official providers. What they give you is the Standards but you can find them on line anyway and you end up wasting a lot of money. So be warned. As sunshine says contact HLTA or ask you LA or you could try Birmingham University as they may be a provider. In the meantime encourage you TA to read the Standards and there was a HLTA forum which you might still be able to read old threads. There are several books available too but some were old stock and the HLTA changed so check they are published after 2008. I hope this helps.
  8. rolls

    rolls New commenter

    You may get also look at studying a Foundation Degree designed for TAs. This is a larger and longer qualification than HLTA but it is a real qualification not a status and could be a stepping stone to teaching if you wanted to pursue this in the future. In our local area HLTA and cover supervisor jobs often go to those with foundation degrees rather than HLTA status.
  9. cheep

    cheep New commenter

    Agree with rolls- but then once you've got your fd you can do a top up yr and get a BA hons
  10. sunshineneeded

    sunshineneeded Star commenter

    rolls, I understand your point - I think the Foundation Degree is definitely the way forward for anyone thinking of going in to teaching. You can study for the qualification part time and therefore still be working in school. You then need one ful-timel year at uni to top up to a BA hons. I have known people who have done this and have then been able to return to their original school (where they were a TA) to complete their Schools Direct year and obtain QTS. That's brilliant - if teaching is the route you want to take. However, that's not for everyone, and if an HLTA role is what someone is aiming for, then I think that following the 3 day prep and assessment course with an official HLTA provider is still the best route to take.
  11. rolls

    rolls New commenter

    Some universities also have a QTS top up that follows on from the foundation degree, avoiding the need for a pressurised PGCE or School Direct course.

Share This Page