1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HLTA classed as a teacher?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by maggieDD, Oct 18, 2010.

1. maggieDD

maggieDD New commenter

Hi

I have a friend who has been a teaching assistant for about 8 years. She is not an HLTA and has her own form, teaches whole classes maths and yet she doesn't have a degree, or even an A level in the subject.
    She states that she is a teacher and denies her role is as a teaching assistant - she isn't getting paid as much as a teacher, but certainly more than a TA (around £18,000)
    Are there any other non-qualified teaching assistants classed as teachers on this forum?

2. maggieDD

maggieDD New commenter

Correction* she IS an HLTA

3. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

HLTAs are not, nor ever will be, teachers! This is either a wind-up, perhaps to gather information for He Who Must Be Obeyed in his quest to belittle all TAs, or you have not worked in education for very long!
    The wage you quote would be equivalent to top of the scale for a Level 3 TA in my LEA, and is less than an HLTA's salary - sounds as though it could possibly be an unqualified teacher rate (they do exist, and I believe there are a number of people employed in schools in this role) and this would explain her claim to be a teacher rather than a TA. Is she teaching a shortage subject?

4. Only Teachers with QTS and registered with the GTC are eligable to teach in state schools. She shouldn't be teaching whole classes, especially a core curriculum subject without a degree!
    £18,000 isn't always more than a TA though, I'm a TA (not HTLA) and my salary is £19,400.
    Perhaps she works for an independant school?

5. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

Sorry, I realise now you said that it is maths - I know there have been problems recruiting good maths teachers but she sounds very under-qualified even if that were the case!

6. An HLTA calling herself a qualified teacher?
    Delusions of grandeur or an indictable offence which the GTCE should be taking up with the HT and the HLTA at the school?
    Come on Keith Hartley, CEO at the soon to be abolished GTCE, do something useful and noble???????????????????????????????????
    Please!!!!!?????????
    Why do we as qualified and registered teachers pay subs for??

7. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

Maggie hasn't said that she's calling herself a qualified teacher though!
    As I previously pointed out there is an official rate of pay for unqualified teachers and there have been a number of posts on various threads in tes which have said that such teachers are being employed in some schools.

By the way apologies to maggie as I realise my first post sounds very stroppy - wasn't intended to come across that way!

8. I have written to the GTC twice to ask exactly what I as a supply teacher get for my money from them. I asked them not to use the phrase "maintaining / upholding standards" in their reply. Naturally, there was no reply. Useless self serving quango. I wonder what else will pop up to take their place.

9. I absolutely agree with you. I work with a TA who does PPA and refers to herself as a teacher. (She is in a relationship that has made her untouchable! )
    'Delusions of grandeur' indeed. New staff think she <u>is</u> a teacher.

10. We used to have a cover supervisor with very few academic qualifications who was regularly heard to say "Sorry, can't stop, I've got a lesson to teach"! She was so full of herself!

11. Is that pro rata dc88.

12. DC88 must be the exception to the rule. I am HLTA and my rate is £19k-£23k pro rata, and I am lucky insofar as I get paid this rate for the whole working time; i.e it is not split for when I am supporting. He/She must have an incredibly supportive management team,......and I thought I was fortunate.

13. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

I had no idea what HLTAs (or TAs, actually) were paid. If &pound;23k is your pro rata salary-is it then taken down to 39 weeks (rather then 52) at 32 hours (rather than 37.5) or something like that? Is that about a &pound;14k take home pay?

Sorry if that's really nosy-a friend of mine is very interested in becoming a TA and had asked me what they earn; I wasn't able to be terribly helpful!

14. I take home £1035 a month or therebouts; twice as much as I took home in mainstream, and less than I took home 25 years ago as a chief buyer for a national building company BC (before children).

15. Oh and yes it is taken down as you describe.

16. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

Thank you so much-that's really helpful :)

17. I'd just like to point out that I haven't reached the upper point yet. Once I do, I will not go up a scale, I will remain on that scale with annual cost of living increases where applicable, there will be no scale increase. I am lucky, and I mean lucky.

18. Totally unacceptable!
    Should be instantly dismissed as fraudsters and fakers.
    ...but of course the headteacher is as usual casting a blind eye and in complete denial...what an utter shambles schools have become?

19. "Totally unacceptable!
    Should be instantly dismissed as fraudsters and fakers.
    ...but of course the headteacher is as usual casting a blind eye and in complete denial...what an utter shambles schools have become?"

The person at fault is the head. If they didn't ask the unqualified TAs to cover, it couldn't happen, could it?
    It is purely down to money (ie a TA gets around &pound;10 an hour for covering whereas a Supply Teacher costs &pound;35 an hour). The TAs who cover are happy because they get another &pound;4 or so per hour on top of their normal rate (and where else could an unqualified person earn that?) and the heads are laughing because they save a fortune!
    It is outrageous, but if you want to lay the blame somewhere, lay it firmly at the heads door (you don't get unqualified staff covering when OFSTED are around!!).

20. Oh this sounds so familiar. We've got a HLTA in our school who regularly says "oh but I'm teaching today" when really she is baby sitting the class when the teacher is on PPA time. She is very inexperienced and English is not her first language so phonics is hilarious to listen to, which is really bad for the children. Teacher always goes over phonic sounds after HLTA has gone to undo the mistakes she has made, but management have been told by so many people but so far haven't done anything about it. She got her HLTA status after being a TA for 2 years so hasn't got a lot of experience either. With regard to rate of pay for TAs, I'm level 3 and get paid &pound;17,400 pa for 52 weeks of year, every level 3 TA in my school is paid this rate.