1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HLTA but feel like job share

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by all_heart, Oct 13, 2017.

1. all_heart

all_heart New commenter

Anyone else our there feel more like a job share than cover. I cover a year 4 part time teacher on his day off and it feels different and more pressured when I cover this class than other cover. I cover 100% of my time table and am used to covering random classes all day and I have ppa and nqt classes I cover weekly but the requests left by the teacher make me feel like he's treating me like a job share.
    Is there a difference or are hltas basically job shares?

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Established commenter

Hi all_heart ..... I know where you're coming from! I am based in just one class (Year 6). My class teacher is SLT and routinely has one day a week out of class. I cover and plan that day - that's fine. But we've had a lot of staff changes lately and my teacher has had to step in on other roles as well ... this week, I covered two days. I very clearly asked that the second day was planned for me, and that happened. I am also finding myself sharing more and more tasks like marking and assessment. I love my job, and while I know we are not accountable in the same way as teachers, the stress and pressure is growing. We should not be treated as a job share - but that's the way it seems to be going in many schools.

olunchick likes this.
  3. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

Agree definitely a step up. I'm doing lots of intervention groups this year. Cover classes at short notice on top of PPA but so far those have been planned. I just feel I'm letting down some of the children expecting to come when that happens.
    I plan for Nurture and PPA and PP children. The ones in class are missing me so lots of hugs before school and when I'm on duty.