1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HLTA assessment next week - any tips?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by marbles78, Jul 9, 2019.

1. marbles78

marbles78 New commenter

I've got my HLTA assessment next Monday afternoon and I'm feeling really nervous. Does anyone have any tips, hints or advice to get through it please?

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Read through your tasks again one more time; make sure all your documentary evidence is clearly labelled so that the assessor will be able to locate everything easily. If there are any standards where you feel your cover was a bit weak, be ready to be asked to describe another time when you have covered that standard.
    A question about your impact is often asked - how do you know that pupils have made progress in your lessons (from their answers to your questions; work in books; responses on whiteboards - lots of ways). This is also about assessment - how do you assess progress made, and what do you do with that knowledge?
    Try not to get too stressed - I know everyone does (I certainly did!), but almost everyone says it was nothing like as bad as they expected. The assessor will want you to do well and so will re-phrase questions to help you if you hesitate.
    Make sure you've set up a good, quiet space for the assessor to work. Leave water there, and maybe biscuits to go with the tea/coffee you will offer.
    You'll be fine! Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

3. ruthwill500

ruthwill500 New commenter

Base your evidence on what you already do before emphasising how you will contribute in the future. Show that you are already fulfilling the majority of expectations.
    This makes it easy to prepare for and raises SMT awareness of how fortunate they are to have you on the team.