1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HLTA-ascribed role or qualification?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by b15b2y, Mar 1, 2016.

1. b15b2y

b15b2y New commenter

Hi all
    A while ago I put a post on regarding Access Arrangements. One of the providers told me an HLTA can take the training.
    However-to be an HLTA do you need to be qualified, or is it a title than can be ascribed by your employer? I am aware that there is a HLTA qualification, but that's not really the intention of creating this role.
    As part of the amended job description, increased pay and responsibility would clearly be stated, but would having someone without this qualification raise questions in itself?
    Any help would be much appreciated,
    Thanks.

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I think the term ascribed to HLTA is ' status ' but not an entitlement and rarely rewarded with the pay which is often associated with the accreditation/ workload. I think that labels aside it is very possible to delegate this reponsibility based on aptitude, skill set and integrity. There is a climate for change in SEND I feel . The SENCO once perceived as( just ) a lead in additional needs should now be addressing all things related to inclusive teaching and learning - suspect that there are not many folk who can do so with confidence and to great effect. Being creative with job titles and responsibilities is essential I think - developing the right person regardless of title is key.

3. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

As Minnie me says HLTA is a status not a qualification. You are invited by your Headteacher to apply for the status.You are meant to be an experienced TA ( counties vary, ours is 5 years service) and can take the 3 day route. You must be whole class teaching regularly You are shown how to prepare a portfolio, complete 3 at least and prepare for assessment. You submit the grid, arrange an assesssor and complete the file of five Tasks with evidence of 33 Standards. The assessor arrives for half a day and marks the file, speaks to a named personand the Headteacher. You then wait several weeks to find out if you pass.
    After passing you can cover PPA, run intervention groups and you should be paid accordingly.