1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HLTA and PGCE

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by championkuga, Jul 7, 2011.

1. My daughter is planning on secondary teaching when she leaves uni next year. She has been showing me some of the criteria and can you believe it, the 33 standards she has to meet are virtually identical to those i have just had to cover in my recent HLTA tasks. In fact the example replies suggested to students were no where near as comprehensive as the response I had to supply. Very puzzling! [​IMG]

2. Not really, as a HLTA, you are the top of your chosen career. As a PGCE student you are just at the bottom rung of becoming a teacher.
    By having a Foundation Degree, I was able to slot into the final year of a teaching degree. The first few years of a teaching degree is like being a TA, you observe teaching and work with small groups. As I'd been doing that for years anyway, I was able to skip that bit and just do one final teaching practice before I qualified.
    The standard for beginning teaching is the same as a HLTA I suppose...