1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HLTA and into teacher training

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by KarisMata, Oct 26, 2011.

1. She does need a degree. Perhaps the person who told her this assumed she already had one? I think she has been misled. Becoming a HLTA, whilst may be useful experience, is not a recognized way into teaching.
    However, she could enrol on the foundation degree for TAs (once she's done her level 3 NVQ). This is designed as a way for TAs to get into teaching. She would continue with her job whilst studying part-time. Once completed, she would then need to do the BA Hons top-up course (1 year) to achieve a BA honours. Then she would need to do teacher training in some form (another year).
    The HLTA is not a qualification, merely a status. In my LA, the training is about 5 days so in no way compares with a degree or any other qualification.

2. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

I'm not sure if your daughter has been a TA for a while or is just starting out.If the latter I feel you have indeed been misled. In order to get HLTA status (and there is a 3-day route) you must have been a TA for at least 5years.It is meant for experience TAs and she must also be whole class teaching on a regular basis.It isn't really training but the 3 day route explains how to present the Tasks, how to evidence them and how to fill out the grid.You are expected to be working at that level and therefore you are not trained to do it.You must also be given permission by the Headteacher before you can submit an application and it is no longer free.You cannot automatically become a HLTA even if you pass it.There must be a vacancy at your school and a willing Headteacher to promote you.You can sometimes take it as part of the second year of the degree mentioned in the above post.
    Your daughter, as mentioned, will still need to do a degree.

3. snugglepot

Where did my paragraphs go?

4. helpfulfriend

helpfulfriend New commenter

snugglepot - many less experienced t.a.'s are trying for hlta status not something I really agree on as it's devaluing the status. at present I'm going through the turmoil of an f.d. to become part of the registered teacher programme.

5. snugglepot

In our county they have a minimum 5 years experience. I thought it was meant for those of us who were at the top of the tree with no where to go other than teaching. Although I considered it felt by the time I finished I would be not far off retiring that was before they moved the goal posts and were here till 65...yeah right!

6. I find this reply somewhat patronising in its content. Assessment towards HLTA status isn't just "five days training". Firstly it's a chore in itself to be accepted for assessment, proof of this is that in my current cohort there are only 8 candidates in the whole of the North East incorporating Northumberland, Tyne and Wear, Cumbria, Co Durham and North Yorkshire. There are numerous tasks and a very concise and detailed process of proving you meet the standards. So although you're obviously right in that you need a degree to become a teacher Teaching Assistants have a tough enough time trying to prove our worth without the belittling of the routes we take.

7. snugglepot

Not sure whose post you are referring to Cb81?