1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HLTA and almost 60!

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by valencia, May 26, 2018.

1. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

I will be 63 in the Summer - TA was a second career for me (didn't start training till my youngest started school) so have only worked in school for 23 years, 14 of them as an HLTA. I am crossing fingers and toes that redundancies will be asked for when we go back, and really wish I could change places with you, picsgirl. I don't think I can do another 3 years till I reach my retirement age - and can't believe the job I used to love has become such a stressful, unpleasant experience - so think I'm going at the end of this term regardless.

Catgirl1964 and pepper5 like this.
  2. valencia

valencia New commenter

I know Ophelia, i'm struggling at 60, never mind 63..i cannot imagine being there at 66 either, good luck to you in whatever you decide.

pepper5 likes this.
  3. Trekkie

Trekkie Occasional commenter

I completely understand your feelings Ophelia 9 - I was exactly the same, and despite the financial implications I handed in my notice. Best decision I have ever made!:D

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Catgirl1964 and pepper5 like this.
  4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Ophelia, I hope you are lucky with a redundancy offer. Even though I'm not ready to go yet, I'd take redundancy like a shot - but I feel they think twice about offering it to folk with long service, it costs too much! Do you work full time? Would your school agree and would it be financially viable to cut down to three days?
    Picsgirl,, fingers crossed for the job hunt x

pepper5 likes this.
  5. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

Thanks for the replies ( I remember you posting when you first retired, Trekkie and I said then how much I envied you!) and thanks for the good wishes, Valencia.

I did consider asking for reduction to part-time, sunshineneeded, but know that I would end up doing the bits I hate most (probably PPA cover, although I did used to enjoy this too years ago) if I did, so am almost 100% decided that I will go this summer - just going to hang on till the last minute to give notice as I do know that I am by far the most expensive member of support staff so they may feel that it's worth cost of getting rid of me - council have been saying there are too many staff in our school for some time - but think this is probably me being over-optimistic! Mind you, the Head's probably telling someone that she hopes this bolshie, expensive HLTA will decide to retire soon!

Picsgirl, I really hope you find something else soon - it must be a real worry but it does seem that age is not such an issue for getting a new job as in some professions - generally schools do appreciate experience in our role, I think - 52 is just a spring chicken anyway!

pepper5 likes this.
  6. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

Great to see you're still hanging in Sunshine!
    Me too over 26 years post training and several years on and off before that in playgroup and Steiner Kindergarten.
    NNEB Dip. STA, LM, HLTA and Nurture plus others under my belt and although flagging a bit after school still coping.

As others have said not keen on the way things are going and the pressure on little ones to jump through hoops. I think we will end up with some children with MH problems. I have seen it markedly in one child unfortunately and I had brother and sister years ago. I do think it has been the pressure re SATS. I hope nothing more. Ophelia I dropped some hours and find it much better, I'm just behind you. Thinking I will stay for two more years not sure after that. Still enjoying most of it although finding working with children with behaviour problems more challenging as I get older. Find younger ones with no boundaries re staff eg. Being kicked, spat at and hair pulled not amusing.

Quite enjoying some of my role. Will be interesting to see where I will be going next year especially PPA cover. I have had a very varied role this year.

IPad playing up re paragraphs Re Ophelia

Haven't been on here for ages. I didn't like the changes much but managed to get logged on this time and good to see some of the old faces still mooching about even those living the life in retirement!

Supplylady likes this.
  7. sunshineneeded

Good to hear from you, snugglepot! Glad you are still 'one of the team' … I've definitely made up my mind that next year will be my last year full-time. I have lots of ideas for retirement, but it's still very hard to visualise yourself not going to school every day, after all these years!
    Enjoy the last few weeks of the summer term x

8. snugglepot

It certainly is!
    I just do four days now. I can recommend it. Not sure how many more years I will do.

9. valencia

valencia New commenter

I really think phased retirement is the way to go..4 days a week this year, 3 next year, 2 the year after, finally, 1 day a week for a year, if only.... lol

10. snugglepot

Yes, tempting Valencia but I have concerns about it affecting my pension doing that. I think I will look into it. I have wondered about having a Friday afternoon off as well. Or working five mornings but I do like my full day off so I can go off for the day if I want to.
    I usually find I am catching up with housework that I am too tired to do when I come home. I have made a list of easy meals now. The sort you can chuck in the oven and go sit down with a cup of tea. I try and prep some of it before leaving. The slow cooker is my friend in winter.

11. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

Haven't been on here for ages (and messed my return up something chronic as I couldn't remember my username - well I am 63!) and got logged back on with a different name which I don't remember ever setting up!
    Anyway, I just wanted to say "hello, and hope you're all well and happy" to you all - particularly, Valencia, Trekie, sunshineneeded, snugglepot, Woton and picsgirl if you're all still using this forum - apologies if I've missed someone (pretty sure that I have but no offence intended!) I ended up making quite a late decision to take early retirement this year, as I said I would - actually it was personal circumstances which made me finally decide to go as I realised that life is short and I didn't want to spend too much of it in a job I no longer loved. As it happened, my school ended up becoming part of an academy group in September (which we didn't know about when we broke up for the summer) and my job was made redundant but I don't regret going before then - think the stress would not have made up for any paltry sum I might have been paid if I'd gone back. Absolutely love being retired and am so glad I finally got up the courage to just leave - I took a very large drop in income but it's well worth it and I have absolutely no regrets so far!

sunshineneeded and Catgirl1964 like this.
  12. sunshineneeded

Lovely to hear from you Ophelia, and very glad that you are enjoying retirement. I'm dropping to 3 days a week in September - when I first made enquiries and put the wheels in motion to arrange it, I wasn't sure how I felt … now I'm counting the weeks and can't wait! The thought of a four day weekend is wonderful! Not sure how long I'll continue with three days - maybe one more year.

Regan1 likes this.
  13. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

That sounds good, sunshine needed - it will make a lot of difference to your week and you can start adapting to the change for when you decide to go completely. Although I would like to have supported some of my old colleagues who are going through a very difficult time at the moment, I still think I would have hated what was happening so it turned out to be better for me to make the break when I did although it was quite a sudden decision in the end.

sunshineneeded likes this.
  14. Trekkie

Trekkie Occasional commenter

Welcome back Ophelia!
    I completely empathise with your feelings about leaving - it took me quite a while to unwind and let go! Personal circumstances have changed in the Trekkie household too so I'm very glad I have the time and energy to focus on family now.
    Glad to hear you've taken the first steps sunshineneeded!!

sunshineneeded and Regan1 like this.
  15. Fleecyblanket

Fleecyblanket New commenter

Just trawling through the forums and decided to check here as I used to be a TA. Had a different name then and remember having some really good advice from Ophelia. I am now a teacher and know many school's in Brum have made TAs redundant.

Regan1 likes this.
  16. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

Thank you, Trekkie - am very happy to have joined the retirement club! Only been nine months (although I did have the school holidays off, of course, but didn't count that as still officially employed) but I can't imagine going back now.
    And what a lovely message to receive, Fleecyblanket - hope the teaching is going well for you and I am genuinely thrilled to hear that you found my advice useful in the past :) I have heard some really sad stories about things happening in some of our local schools too and my heart bleeds for some former colleagues who are being put in very difficult situations because of it.

17. Fleecyblanket

Fleecyblanket New commenter

Thanks Ophelia, yes, truly awful what is happening to support staff. Such a waste of experience.