1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HLTA and almost 60!

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by valencia, May 26, 2018.

1. valencia

valencia New commenter

Any more out there my age? Have been a TA and HLTA for over 20 years, but have worked for a total of 42 years I'm feeling tired but still as enthusiastic, have seen the 'wheel' turn around quite a few times now, only another 5/6 years to go, the twilight years are fast approaching!

pepper5 likes this.
  2. Trekkie

Trekkie Occasional commenter

I worked as a Senior TA until 60 and took early retirement (after over 20 years in the job). Like you, I had worked a total of 40+ years.

I didn't like the way the job was changing (for the worst in my opinion!) so I decided to get out and enjoy some downtime! I missed being with the children and I think it took around a year to 'let it go' and realise that school would carry on perfectly well without me.:D

As we live near the coast, it is great to be able to head to the beach mid week and avoid the weekend crowds - no regrets at all valencia!:)

Catgirl1964 and pepper5 like this.
  3. LORRYW

LORRYW New commenter

I worked as a TA until last year. After 20 years I suddenly decided that I hated the way educatiion was changing and everything was a box ticking exercise to the detriment of the children. I have seen many fads and changes in teaching methods.I couldn't beat the system so left before the system beat me!

Catgirl1964, pepper5 and Trekkie like this.
  4. Trekkie

I know how you felt LORRYW! It has been 3 years since I left and I have no regrets.:)

5. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

I left last year and thought I'd find it hard to adjust. Have to say I have not. I'm kept busy with all the things like gardening I never had time for while working.

Catgirl1964, pepper5 and Trekkie like this.
  6. valencia

valencia New commenter

I have so many things planned for when I retire..

pepper5 likes this.
  7. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

I've been a nursery assistant, TA and HLTA for more than 30 years - and I've already passed the big 6-0! I share a lot of your feelings about the way education is changing now; I think the days of the small primary school, which I have always enjoyed working at, are fast disappearing. But I'm still not quite ready to quit yet ...... !!!

Supplylady and pepper5 like this.
  8. Trekkie

We will be waiting to welcome you to the 'club' sunshineneeded! :D

pepper5 likes this.
  9. Trekkie

... and valencia! :D

pepper5 likes this.
  10. valencia

valencia New commenter

Why, thank you, lol

11. sunshineneeded

Thank you, Trekkie - I'll let you know when I make the big decision!

12. Trekkie

Livin' the dream...

beach2.jpg
    but with limited finances!! :D

pepper5 likes this.
  13. LORRYW

LORRYW New commenter

My friend put it off until she was 71! At the start of every school year she she would announce "this is my last year!" She finally gave in after a hip replacement. I swore I would never hang on past my sell by date and made the decision just before my 60th. I haven't regretted it for a second.

pepper5 likes this.
  14. Trekkie

YMe neither! :D

pepper5 likes this.
  15. picsgirl

picsgirl New commenter

Suppose 52 is still a little early to retire?:p

pepper5 likes this.
  16. sunshineneeded

71 !!!! Yikes!!! I hope they gave her a wonderful retirement party - and a medal!

pepper5 likes this.
  17. valencia

valencia New commenter

Medal is definitely needed!

pepper5 likes this.
  18. Trekkie

Hang on in there picsgirl! :D

pepper5 likes this.
  19. picsgirl

picsgirl New commenter

Wish I could - 7 weeks til redundancy - just asking as hubby thinks it's a little early too :p

pepper5 likes this.
  20. Trekkie

Oh no picsgirl! :oops:

Sadly, it seems to be a common event at the moment. My Primary is making TA redundancies too - first time in 20+ years.

I wish you all the best in your search for a new job.

pepper5 likes this.