1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HiViz Jackets! Burn them!

Discussion in 'Education news' started by verdgris, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Where have you read that Ofted now consider safeguarding 'not important'?

nomad and galerider123 like this.
  2. galerider123

galerider123 Lead commenter

I remember First Aiding a year 6 boy who was visibly upset when he grazed his knee and it bled a little. After a bright and breezy bit of mopping him up combined with a mini lecture (in the nicest possible way) about how fabulous our bodies were, that the body naturally produced it's own "plaster" within 3 minutes usually for little cuts (and used his own wound to demonstrate) he was fine. Then, come hometime, mum, who clearly had been treating small cuts and bruises as major catastrophes, really started to make a fuss when she saw his plasters. I nearly pumped the air when he looked at ther like she was being a bit silly, and was clearly embarrassed by her fussing. I didn't think that he was going to stop doing things for worry about a scrape from there on in. I think that school staff, certainly those who have been parents, really don't overreact at minor injuries, and treat them in a common sense manner. But some parents do!

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  3. CaptGrimesRetd

CaptGrimesRetd Occasional commenter

Enjoying a lunchtime pint outside a pub in Bloomsbury, I watched a crowd of American children go past, each wearing a sparkly gold Stetson. I thought it a much better idea than hi-viz tabards.

galerider123, Mrsmumbles and Piscean1 like this.
  4. MonMothma

MonMothma Lead commenter

Ofsted seem to be saying different things now - apparently data and progress is not as important as a wider broad education.

Yet I still suspect schools will get judged on data and progress and schools will get judged on health and safety issues.

5. brighton56

brighton56 Occasional commenter

Ofsted do not go round with tick sheets to inspect general health and safety. Some people are starting to get on my wick with their silly comments. The safeguarding remit for Ofsted is to see whether the school have procedures in place to ensure all children and staff are safe. Inspectors check the single central register to ensure everyone has had the correct checks done, they then will likely ask the school DSL the procedures they follow and that's about it. That and a few other checks is it.

Ofsted are not saying health and safety is not important but then again, can you show evidence where health and safety has gone mad AS A RESULT OF Ofsted?

Let's also stop the SLT bashing. They're the ones who will find themselves against lawsuits when someone or something gets damaged!

Apologies, obviously feeling ratty today.

nomad, Sundaytrekker and Pomz like this.
  6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I always were mine when I'm biking early in the morning in the Winter and it's really dark.

7. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Where have you read this gem?

8. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Some of the posters on tes have absolutely no idea at all about Ofsted inspections.

Many are retired and years out-of-date.

Others are either just repeating things they've 'heard' or just making it up.

Or maybe, in the wake of inspections, some have been told ludicrous things by their SLTs just to shut down a conversation (and believed it all)...

nomad and wanet like this.
  9. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

This is recent:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/educatio...ial-measures-did-not-have-fence-headteachers/

10. MonMothma

MonMothma Lead commenter

11. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

This is the problem with believing what you read on the internet...

The piece you have linked says an 'outstanding school' has been put into special measures just because a fence is missing - Shocking stuff, what are Ofsted up to? They must be incompetent right?

However...Having found out the name of the school and read the actual Ofsted report, I can see that the school was rated inadequate in 3 of the 5 key areas. Whilst the report says that the school has 'taken sufficient action to minimise identified potential risks to pupils’ safety on the school site', the word 'fence' does not appear once in the entire report.

The thing about the fence is attributed to 'a delegate from Cumbria, speaking at a recent conference...' - Not a full and reliable account.

Under attainment in 2016 is also referred to and some other issues were identified, particularly in the 6th form provision.

That all said, having no form of fence around your school is pretty stupid. Not many of the parents I've ever met would be happy to have their children in an environment which makes effort all at the secure the site!

http://www.ksgs.cumbria.sch.uk/sites/default/files/attachments/page/Ofsted Report Published.pdf

When was your last direct experience of an Ofsted inspection?

wanet and nomad like this.
  12. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Nowhere within that speach does she actually say
    upload_2017-8-7_20-11-6.png
    If this is your interpretation, expect trouble at your next inspection!*

She does say this:

Rather than just intensifying the focus on data, Ofsted inspections must explore what is behind the data, asking how results have been achieved. Inspections, then, are about looking underneath the bonnet to be sure that a good quality education – one that genuinely meets pupils’ needs – is not being compromised.

But in many ways, this has always been the case. Any good HT has their 'story' ready...

*That said, the speech is very tedious and essentially void of meaning and It is within the realms of possibility that I could have missed it due do being bored into a coma. This woman is terrible.

nomad likes this.
  13. MonMothma

MonMothma Lead commenter

Not an issue for me. I've been applying for jobs as data manager and am very aware of how schools use and misuse data. Plus all the tricks to make the data look good.

Don't need to do that anymore. I didn't really want to be part of a system that is manipulated and also one where SMT aren't often aware of the statistics behind the results.

14. MonMothma

MonMothma Lead commenter

Then again, she did say this

"One of the areas that I think we sometimes lose sight of is the real substance of education. Not the exam grades or the progress scores, important though they are, but instead the real meat of what is taught in our schools and colleges: the curriculum"

But schools are judged by exam grades and progress scores. By OFSTED.

15. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

I read the fuller piece more as an iteration of the expectation of both good outcomes and depth/breadth of curriculum.

galerider123 likes this.
  16. verdgris

verdgris New commenter

Considering that practically every school in the country uses hiviz jackets, whether needed or not at the behest of SLTs, I am warranted to get out my giant paint roller and spray gun as well.

17. brighton56

brighton56 Occasional commenter

I disagree. I know more schools that do not use high visibility jackets for school trips in my area than those who do. In my experience it is teachers who are 'less confident' leading trips who go well and truly over the top with umpteen throw bags, excessive first aid kits and enough sick buckets for a navy ship. You can't blame them for this in today's blame culture though.

Pomz likes this.
  18. MrsArmitage

MrsArmitage Occasional commenter

On an overseas trip recently, I had students wearing neon pink baseball caps so staff could pick them out of a crowd of thousands. We thought they'd hate wearing them, but they said they felt safer knowing that any frantic hat waving would attract our attention. Staff also wore them - they were not fetching!

19. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

OFSTED is fast becoming the mysterious and elusive Wizard of Oz. Nobody knows who he is of what he does because he hides behind his curtain all day creating smoke and mirrors.

20. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Now that IS cool! What a great idea!