1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hit in the head by a student...help!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by missiffat, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Billie73

Billie73 Occasional commenter

If you threw a lump of metal with a screw in it at him, you'd lose your job and you just know his parents would call the police and as many compensation lawyers as they could find. Bear that in mind when you consider what to do.

Teachers do everything, and often put their lives second to the school, 'for the children' but these children grow up into adults. This is a valuable life lesson that needs to be learned.

2. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

A girl we fostered who assaulted a fellow pupil had 'never done anything like that', except that the assault on another child at another school was mysteriously missing from her records.

3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Agree completely Billie73. If the OP had thrown a lump of metal at anyone, student or adult, they would definitely never work as a teacher again, and possible ever.

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

If some random did that to you in the street?

"Bless the lad, he's probably a good lad at heart. Never mind, eh." I don't think so.

He doesn't deserve to get away with it. What does he learn? That it's acceptable. It's assault.

5-day exclusion? Badge of honour with some kids.

5. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Missing from records- redaction by omission. It happens. Sometimes it's even removed from MIS or SIMS after being logged.

Edit- by "happens" I have seen notes I have logged on SIMS, disappear on more than one occasion.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  6. fairypenny

fairypenny Occasional commenter

As teachers, we want to protect our pupils, even when they do something like this. However, look at it this way: by NOT taking this further, you're actually ruining his life chances. You'd be doing him a disservice to allow him to carry on through life thinking he can get away with things.

7. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I
    I only found out about it because we happened to drive past the school in question and she said, 'I went there for two weeks. I was kicked out for hitting someone'. On questioning, her social worker admitted that she had been to the school and that she probably had been excluded but she didn't think it was as serious as an assault... Two years of the girls' schooling was simply missing from her records. 'The social worker hasn't provided any information for this period'. Well that's ok then, and gives a very unrealisitc picture of the child's behaviour.

8. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

You ruin his life if he thinks it's OK to chuck heavy objects at people. Next time he might might go down for murder or manslaughter