1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hit in the head by a student...help!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by missiffat, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Cocoa, definitely cocoa. Or soothing camomile tea....

2. missiffat

missiffat New commenter

Update:
    Thank you once again for all your comments and advice. I did not go into work yesterday, nor today. My head is not 100% ok, I can definitely feel the difference on my left side where I was hit. SLT rang me yesterday, the boy has a 5 day exclusion (lucky him having time off school) they asked what I wanted to do next, I said I needed some time to think about it. Should I involve the police? The student isn't usually like this (apparently). I don't want him to get away with it but I also don't want you ruin his life... probably makes me sound stupid and too lenient.

I've requested a meeting with SLT as soon as I go back. Something needs to be done about behaviour before somebody is seriously injured. I get the impression the school are not happy that I am not in, I think they were hoping I would be happy with the student having as 5 day exclusion. I don't feel safe there. I'm thinking of handing in my resignation.

3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Can I suggest you speak to your Union before doing anything such as resigning?

NB I think you did well to take your time before going back. Make sure you are 100% fit - any problems with that should be the school's, not yours.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Definitely need to talk to your union and mention
    The student needs to be made aware of the long-term consequences of their action and that is not 'blighting' their life but may casue them to think a bit longer before acting in future.

phlogiston and grumpydogwoman like this.
  5. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Go to see your GP- you might need to have an X-ray, there could be a possibility of a hair line fracture. That can be quite painful for a while.

You might need to.

Hmm, bet they're not. They want you back in for a number of reasons
    1. They don't want to deal with setting work.
    2. They want to minimise the situation- you working would show everyone that you weren't injured that badly.

PLEASE speak to your union.

You might need to sue the school- my former colleague broke her arm at school and sued them. She got compensation.

Sometimes doing things by the book is the best way defend your rights to a safe work place.

Speak to your union. Following the x-ray, a complaint to the police could be the only next step.

6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

The student isn't usually like that?

No, they never are. Never. He's an angel at heart. A saint! Well, yes. I'm sure he is.

Provided he gets his own way and he's not in a mood.

I'd definitely involve the police. Pour encourager les autres.

They need to have the wind put up them good and proper. I'd be looking to leave. So it still hurts. Stay away.

7. slingshotsally

Why do they roll this dross out to teachers?

I love my kids, but even I know that they are capable of all sorts of dodgy behaviour they know to be wrong!

wanet and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. grumpydogwoman

Solid metal door stop? Screw intact?

The little sheet totally premeditated that assault. Yes, I'd definitely consider a lawsuit. School has a duty of care.

If behaviour is that bad then there should be security staff in the corridors. It's a known risk. Could and should have been prevented.

9. thatmaninthehat

thatmaninthehat Occasional commenter

I think the police should be involved here to ram home how serious this matter is. He needs to be questioned and cautioned at least surely?The school are taking advantage of your kind disposition here. This is unlikely to ruin the boys life I'm pretty sure but might save someone else's in the future.Don't mean to sound melodramatic here but he could have killed you! Being hit on the head is extremely dangerous.

10. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Strongly agree with the last two posters.

tall tales, Laphroig, pepper5 and 2 others like this.
  11. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Ditto.

12. NewToTeachingOldToMaths

NewToTeachingOldToMaths Lead commenter

Yes ... you should.

Pour decourager les autres, if nothing else.

This lad may not usually be like this ... but think of the message it sends to others who MAY be in need of the short, sharp shock if they see that the result of throwing a lump of metal at a teacher's head is the involvement of William Senior.

There are OTHER agencies whose role it is to decide, ultimately, what sanction should follow. Let them do their job, so as to create the environment in which you can continue to do yours.

13. grumpydogwoman

How will you feel if he does this again? To another teacher? Or a pupil? You're not out of the woods yet yourself. You are in pain.

If you'd let it go and he really hurts someone?

14. slingshotsally

To be honest, the management at OP's school sound as they are in the process of AZSS covering.

I bet they haven't even filled in a Health and Safety incident report. Suspending a child for what could clearly have resulted in a serious head injury with long term and life changing consequences is JUST NOT ENOUGH.

They'll leave that off the daily log as well, so if something more horrendous happens, there will be no written evidence.

15. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Throwing something with a projecting screw is totally dangerous. screw is likely to trail the main weight, but they wouldn't know this. If thrown with force, and had hit you screw first, it would be likely to penetrate your skull.
    I don't believe a simple exclusion is sufficient her. Go to the doctor for a checkup. I think parents should be paying for the supply covering you.

16. slingshotsally

Agree cubed

17. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

DEFINITELY don't take any action on leaving your job before the weekend, and please do phone your union.

Regarding whether to phone the police, here's another way to think about it: what if the reason this previously well-behaved boy has started being violent is because his home situation has changed and he is now in a violent home (so believes it is perfectly acceptable)? If that's the case, the police would absolutely take that into account and would involve social services to protect this child. As already pointed out, the other thing you need to think about is what if by taking no action you send a message to him (and others) that it is ok to attack staff? How would you feel if the next attack is more serious if you didn't take action?

I apologise if this is putting pressure on you - I know you have been through a lot.

18. grumpydogwoman

I take the 'never done anything like that before' claim with about half a ton of salt. Heard that a zillion times. Been there and got the T-shirt.

That translates as: "I have never had a problem with him but that could be something to do with the fact I have never taught him and, when colleagues have reported him to me before, I put my fingers in my ears and go LALALALALALALALALALALA."

19. perma

perma New commenter

The right thing to do is phone the Police now, be strong, there will be nothing they can do once that CCTV is wiped and the kid will get away scott free.....Do you want him to?

Do it for the next teacher that this will most likely happen to at your school.

5 day exclusion, wow....

Even if you do want to leave the school think of it as a duty of care for the next unsuspecting teacher in your situation that you put the wheels in motion for a better teaching experience for them by making sure that these dangerous actions are not repeated.

You can be very proud that you took a warranted action by informing your union and the Police that the behaviour in this school should not be tolerated.

You are well within your rights to report this incident to any agency you feel will help you...

If you need any help feel free to PM me.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  20. frustum

frustum Star commenter

It's probably worth ringing the police to talk informally about the incident. They ought to be able to tell you what would be likely to happen. I think that an under-18 may be given a warning rather than a caution, and that it might not even turn up on a DBS, or at least not after two years. So it may turn out that they can be given a strong message without permanently blighting their life.