1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hit in the head by a student...help!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by missiffat, Feb 1, 2017.

1. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

@grumpydogwoman 's advice is excellent. Some school's have a policy of wiping CCTV footage after 24 hours - so don't delay. As soon as you can, email the member of SLT that watched the footage with you to confirm the details of who/what/where/when.

2. Caligraphy

Caligraphy Occasional commenter

Bless you missifat. I hope you're alright. How did you get on at A and E? Next, contact police and union at reional level. You are the victim here, and not the pupil.x

slingshotsally likes this.
  3. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

You have already had excellent advice, but just wanted to say I hope you are ok, and I hope you get the matter resolved to your satisfaction. Definitely don't make career decisions today x

Laphroig and Mrsmumbles like this.
  4. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

You have been assaulted and caused actual physical harm. If it happened in the street the police would prosecute - report the incident to the police and inform them that the school have the evidence in the form of the CCTV.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  5. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

And take a few days off work to recover - let the school know that their is a financial cost for not fully supporting staff against thugs and bullies.

6. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

In this order:
    1) stiff drink
    2) A and E turn up at the start if your GP opening tomorrow morning. Explain. They will fit you in. Get signed off for a week.
    3) take well earned time out.
    4) make a list in chronological order of exactly what happened.
    5) contact union rep and report it, ditto the police. I really would press charges.
    6) by the time you have done all this, the SLT might have grown a spine and decided what to do.

Teaching is becoming more and more demanding and the risks to safety are too high in many schools. Well, we know that teachers' rights and conditions matter very little to senior managers. One rule for them , another for us. Except that you have been assaulted. Their behaviour policies have just been badly shown up. You could press charges. This puts them in the spot. The kid needs suspending, for his own good and yours. Disgraceful.

grumpydogwoman and Laphroig like this.
  7. Mrsmumbles

I thought that if the attack happened on school premises the SLT have to respind and take on the problem? They can't wriggle out of this. Can't even blame the assault on the OP's teachingbstyles, as it wasn't her class..( shocking, but it has happened, which is why I think you should stand your ground)

Laphroig likes this.
  8. Mrsmumbles

The way things are with many schools, they might be delighted that they can now exclude the kid for ABH. In this case, he deserved it. What are we coming to in the U.K, when spout gobbynimpatint kids waiting for their mates outside another lesson have the arrogance to do this and lack the self-control to JUST BE PATIENT? Awful.

9. Mrsmumbles

Yes, and record yourself leaving the message, giving the date. I'd instruct a solicitor. And email the head of IT or facilities or security, whoever looks after the CCTV, asking to see the footage. Then bcc in your union rep. If the rep is rubbish, bcc a solicitor...this is serious and the school would privately compensate you if they had any sense.

Laphroig likes this.
  10. Mrsmumbles

An
    And don't worry about the money with taking on a case, as I am pretty sure the CPS would fund this. Social services may need to talk to this charming young gentleman. I think the fact that you don't even teach him and he still feels he can behave like this, i.e., he picked on you at random, is chilling.

11. Mrsmumbles

And bcc in yourself and your union rep to that same email. Send the email from home, not a workplace email. Or bcc to a home email.

12. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

The LAST thing the OP should do, if she is going to A & E with possible concussion, is have a stiff drink!

@missiffat This is an extremely serious matter - you, or another student could have been blinded, and the student responsible needs to be made to understand that there are consequences to their actions.

Edit: if your username identifies you, please contact TES urgently to get it changed.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  13. missiffat

missiffat New commenter

Hey thanks for your advice. I have just got home from the hospital noto long ago. Any idea how I change my username?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. Sally_90

Sally_90 Occasional commenter

E-mail help@tes.com to change your username.How did you get on at the hospital? :(

grumpydogwoman and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  15. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Agree

DO NOT DRINK AT ALL AFTER A HEAD INJURY!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

It masks symptoms of more serious concussion/subarachnoid haemorrhage.

Apart from anything else, the alcohol intake will be noted on your medical records and could be used against you if you were to sue the school..

16. missiffat

missiffat New commenter

Good job I don't drink then! :p

17. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

How are things panning out?
    I hope first of all that the pain is dying down and that you are feeling more composed.
    I hope that you are putting the suggestions several folk have made to ensure that the disturbed young person and his collaborators learn that there are some very important boundaries to life, and that you have mustered support to back you up during what is going to be a stressful time.
    I hope you can savour a good mug of whatever you do drink!
    Best wishes
    P

18. teselectronic

teselectronic Occasional commenter

19. NewToTeachingOldToMaths

NewToTeachingOldToMaths Lead commenter

No!!!!!!

Not after a head injury!!!

wanet, bevdex and grumpydogwoman like this.
  20. Mrsmumbles

Sorry, I meant it metaphorically, not swill back gallons of Stella whilst waiting in A and E...

slingshotsally likes this.