1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hit in the head by a student...help!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by missiffat, Feb 1, 2017.

1. missiffat

missiffat New commenter

Today as I was dismissing my class, a few students (from another class) were stood outside my room tugging on the door. They were causing a commotion as they were waiting for their friends. I asked them to move along the corridor, but they did not.

A few minutes later, I started to dismiss my class, row by row. Suddenly I am hit in the side of my head by a metal object. I asked who did it, the boys at the door denied involvement.

I was very calm. I dismissed the rest of my class and then I picked up the 'thing'... a solid metal door stop in the shape of a sphere which is screwed in the ground, with the screw still intact.

I locked my door and went straight to my department office, I was shaking and crying.

I told my head of department and a senior member of staff. They looked at CCTV (which we have in the corridors) they saw who threw the door stop. I'm not sure what will happen to him, perhaps a detention knowing my school.

What should I do now? My head genuinely hurts as I was hit on my left temple. Considering going to A&E.

What should happen to the student? Whether he meant to hurt me or not is irrelevant right? I'm so upset right now, I love teaching but I think today might have been my last as a teacher.

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Go to A & E or your doctor; certainly take photographs; contact your Union; consider contacting the police - you have been assaulted (whether the boy is sorry; or has 'issues' etc. is irrelevant.)

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

The police!

That is all there is to say.

The police. It's assault.

4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Agree with above posts.

Contact the police
    Go To A & E

Phone your union in the morning.

This is a serious incident.

If you need emotional support phone the Education Support Partnership.

The police will help you in the first instance.

5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I'm sorry to hear this.
    I'm mostly echoing other advice.
    Firstly though, if you live on your own, take yourself somewhere where someone else can keep an eye on you. You need to have someone keep an eye on you, the effects of concussion can sometimes take a while.

Take yourself to Dr / A&E / minor injuries. Get photographic evidence while the wound is still fresh.
    Talk to someone at the police station. The school may well not want police involvement, but if this happened anywhere else then there may be cause for criminal proceedings. The perpetrator has crossed a line and needs, for their own good, to realise that there are many consequences for such an action.
    The dumb witnesses ought to learn this too, but that is unrealistic.
    Contact your union (higher level than school rep) in the morning, there are all sorts of potential consequences and they need to know even if it is sorted the way you would like.

Do not make any irrevocable decisions about your career in the immediate aftermath. You are shocked and upset. Most teachers do not undergo this treatment. Reserve the right to pack it all once you feel better though.
    I hope it's just a bruise.
    Best wishes

6. grumpydogwoman

Make sure the CCTV evidence isn't wiped or recorded over. Depends how it works in your school. Do not delay.

And excellent advice about head injuries. Get monitored. Get watched. Go to A and E. You could easily be in shock.

7. bonnie1

bonnie1 Senior commenter

Oh dear, yes, follow all of the good advice already given. hope you feel better physically and everything else is resolved.

8. grumpydogwoman

Leave a message for school. There's a chance you won't be going in tomorrow. Make sure they know you are taking this seriously. As is right and proper. Also ask them to ensure the CCTV evidence is to hand as the police will need it.

9. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Union straight away. Regional official or equivalent. Phone numbers in your diary or off the unions web site. If you feel you can't face school tomorrow don't go in. The advice to go to A&E and take photos to document your injury seem sound.

Remember that you are the victim. Don't get an attack of misplaced teacher conscience if you have to have time off. Put yourself first. The school must act appropriately.

10. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I would contact my union and enlist their support.
    I would also email the head/member of SLT and ask for a meeting tomorrow first thing, providing you are well enough.
    Then see what they have to say before making further decisions.

Definitely don't give up teaching because of one brattish so and so. You never know they might well kick him out, for a few days at least.

Are we talking primary or secondary?

11. missiffat

missiffat New commenter

Thank you so much for all your responses, means so much. I am on my way to a & e as I type.

My head hurts, though it is not wounded nor bleeding.

12. perma

perma New commenter

Please ring the police from A&E tonight to make a report!

and make sure you tell them the severity of what has happened to you. I would have rung them straight away to make sure the CCTV is not wiped as stated above.

It is absolutely disgusting what has happened to you, I wish I was shocked but schools are becoming dangerous places to work in, doesn't surprise me at all.

Please press charges against the pupil once they have the footage in their hands, it is after all assault.

I would make sure the Police go to school first thing tomorrow as you should have called them today, not your fault as your prob still upset and shocked with what has happened to you.

The school should have called the police themselves, feel sorry for you having to deal with this, awful....

13. pcsmush

pcsmush Occasional commenter

Definitely go to A&E. Definitely take pictures. Definitely write your own account of what happened now. Definitely contact your Union. Definitely demand a meeting tomorrow with SLT. Definitely insist that the child is excluded.

I personally would inform a member of SLT that you are calling the police, just so you give school formal warning (put a rocket up them in other words) and they can't full back on the 'you didn't talk to us first' argument.

14. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I agree with perms that the school should have called the police. If Imwere the Head, I would have driven you to A & E myself.

Trust you area not injured badly.

15. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Do not go into work tomorrow, even if you feel fine. There is a chance you will be concussed. The effects can be delayed and might manifest whilst at work. If this happens you will be unable to safely drive home (or however you get home). A & E will probably tell you this anyway.

Don't send cover work either, just email a message saying you are not well enough to do so (and this is true).

The school can sort out cover and then they might get the message how serious this incident was.

16. perma

perma New commenter

I hope you have a union as they are good in these situations, even if you don't you still have video evidence but you must make sure that is recovered by the police asap (tomorrow morning) I can't stress this enough, you must get police involved to get a copy.

I think cops should be in schools more often when these things happen as it gives these idiotic pupils something to think about should they step out of line in future.

17. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Agree with Les25paul. Don't go to work tomorrow and don't send cover work.

I wonder if this student had a history of doing this type of thing before.

18. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Agree with all the above. A&E. Police. Photos. Email saying you will not be in, and don't set cover. Ask them to keep the CCTV as police will need it. Also email your HoD and senior member of staff who you spoke to and ask them to please write down the incident as you reported it so their memory of the conversation is recorded as soon as possible. Did you fill in the accident report form at school? This will need to be done asap. So write down your own record of the events while you remember them, and what you did, who you spoke to, and that you have sought medical help since then and what they said.

19. pcsmush

pcsmush Occasional commenter

Yep I totally agree with that.
    Insist on a meeting as soon as you feel well enough. :)

20. missiffat

missiffat New commenter

Secondary