1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

History with a German degree?

Discussion in 'History' started by holness599, Sep 3, 2017.

1. holness599

holness599 New commenter

My degree is in German and linguistics and I did a pgce in modern languages, however I am approaching 4 years since completing my pgce and still no job - German is being cut like crazy. I always thought I should try English but actually I think history would suit well as my German degree did quite a lot of history (well ww2) I taught some as a cover supervisor, i know some topics pretty well... so what do you think the chances of me swapping to history are? Any advice or suggestions? (Perhaps - don't do it! Haha) Thanks in advance!

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

No reason why you shouldn't teach history, perhaps at KS3 to start with - as a History teacher (HoD, SLT as well) I did know colleagues teaching History at KS3 who had degrees in other subjects (Geography, RS, English, Sociology, Political Science, even Biology) - the key is to be able to show that you are enthusiastic and competent to teach the subject.

Obviously this isn't easy, but 'bigging up' your study of History (GCSE I assume, A level? Parts of your degree) will help, doing some personal study of the National Curriculum in History so you can discuss it in interview (perhaps reading some KS3 textbooks), observing some History lessons when in a school teaching German/doing supply and maybe looking at relevant history websites, e.g.

https://schoolhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?act=idx

https://www.history.org.uk/

The latter is an organisation you could consider joining if you want to go down this route (the magazine 'Teaching History' is pretty much required reading, for example).

I'm afraid I'm now retrofired, but hope this will give you some places to start!

Good luck.

krisgreg30 likes this.
  3. krisgreg30

krisgreg30 Occasional commenter

Thank you for being inadvertently helpful to me with this post. It has reassured me I'm looking at doing the right things for pursuing the possibility of swapping primary for secondary at History (what my original degree is in) as looking at the curriculum/ exam specs, websites and text books as well as looking to sort out some observations and discussions with the local secondary.

FrankWolley likes this.
  4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I've just noticed I am apparently 'retrofired' - I suspect this was auto-correct's attempt at 'retired'. At least I hope so!

Best wises to those wanting to change to History. I enjoyed teaching it for 32 years...

krisgreg30 likes this.