1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

History Week

Discussion in 'History' started by RachH55, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Hi, I am a new history co-ordinator in a primary school and have been asked to organise a History Week to include the whole school (Reception through to Year 6), on a theme of my choice. Any ideas for a theme that would involve the whole school and get the children excited about history?

2. Hi, I am a new history co-ordinator in a primary school and have been asked to organise a History Week to include the whole school (Reception through to Year 6), on a theme of my choice. Any ideas for a theme that would involve the whole school and get the children excited about history?

3. What about a history of the Olympics week? Could do Greeks stuff and then look at some of the 'exciting' Olympics of the 20thc lots of film clips etc on internet. Am secondary so not sure how this would play out in primary but maybe could work :)

4. artemisorthia

artemisorthia New commenter

Second World War might be fairly straightforward for you. Children could interview family members/friends who went through the war. It should be possible to find some artefacts that could be used. I teach in Hampshire and when I put on a similar event some years back I was able to hire (at incredibly reasonable rates) an evacuee's suitcase and a soldier's kit bag from Hampshire County Wardrobe - children were able to try on clothes from this etc. We also did some cooking of spam fritters (with some very strange results!!)

5. You could also try a theme of collecting and objects as evidence - and finish with creating a school museum that would tell people in the future about life in 2011. Maybe do activities with objects from loan boxes finding out about e.g. 1011AD, 1511, 1811, 1911.......
    I work at a museum in Lancashire that does a great history week assembly along this theme - get in touch if you're anywhere near and would like to discuss!
    Amy