1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

History Topic Year 1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jfhiggins1, May 29, 2017.

1. jfhiggins1

jfhiggins1 New commenter

Hi - NQT here,

I'm really struggling for ideas surrounding the Victorians in Year 1. I started with the school mid april and due to having a number of different teachers before me, on supply, they have already done a short topic based around toys - old and new.
    I would love to take the pupils to the Black Country Living Museum in Dudley which is local to them but I'm just trying to figure out where to go with my topic! I definitely would like to do something surrounding the differences between life now and then!

Any ideas and help will be much appreciated!

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Why on earth are you studying the Victorians in year 1?

But, since you are, then maybe the development of railways or some such would work.
    Or perhaps learn about Victoria herself.

There is a reason there isn't much on the net to help with year 1 Victorians!

3. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I did something last year about holidays in Victorian times and comparing them to holidays today, and the children loved it, if this helps?

4. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Have you visited the museum you mention in your post recently yourself? Is there anything at the museum which would help to focus your topic? If you were to visit the museum first it could be the starting point and it might help the children to understand what you're talking about.
    Alternatively, select some well-known Victorians and learn about their lives: Victoria herself; Florence Nightingale; Isambard Kingdom Brunel; the Bronte sisters; David Livingstone etc. I'm sure you can research and present the most suitable ones in a suitable format.