1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

History textbooks

Discussion in 'History' started by teacher1332, Jun 17, 2020.

1. teacher1332

teacher1332 New commenter

Hi all,

I am hoping to get your advice on any good KS3 textbooks for the topics below. If possible, ones which are not too focused on Britain would be good. Any recommendations (or ones to avoid!) recommended. I am aware that it may well be impossible to get something which covers all areas for each year group and I would like to stress that the textbooks are designed only to supplement! Thanks in advance.

Year 7 - What is history? Middle Ages, Islamic Golden Age, Renaissance

Year 8 - Reformation, French Revolution, Industrial Revolution, Slavery and abolition

Year 9 - WWI, WWII, Holocaust and EU as a vehicle of peace in Europe

2. bookeater

bookeater Occasional commenter

Sorry I can not help as I just teach KS4 now
    Have you gone onto the publishing sites and ordered inspection copies if they have a topic title that matches?

3. varcolac

varcolac Occasional commenter

The Schools History Project ones are usually great. My department has successive generations of them in a cupboard somewhere. I don't think they cover all those topics but definitely do a majority of those in their Y7 Y8 and Y9 textbooks.

Morninglover likes this.
  4. teacher1332

teacher1332 New commenter

Thanks both for your input. I find SHP quite dated, although there is some good content there.