1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

History teaching in Edinburgh

Discussion in 'Scotland - prospective teachers' started by welshwizard, Jun 6, 2017.

1. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Hi all,

What is the current state of play for an experienced History and Politics teacher looking to move North of the Border. I can advise on opportunities in England ( particularly London) and Wales but north of Hadrian's wall is unknown territory! She will have 2-3 years post NQT experience by the time of the move. Grateful for any tips/advice- there seems to be a shortfall of advertised posts particularly in Edinburgh itself?

2. Mazod

Mazod Occasional commenter

Being able to teach politics means that she should qualify to teach a subject called 'Modern Studies' as well as history which is good news. My husband is a History and Modern Studies teacher and jobs are highly sought after in these subjects (although things have improved in recent years). It might be difficult for her to get a permanent contract straight away if she doesn't have any experience of the Scottish education system and is only looking at a very specific geographical area.

3. welshwizard

Thanks Mazod,

That's really useful. I also assume the Scottish Councils have a strong role in recruitment too- do schools use agencies for temporary appointments?

4. Mazod

No agencies here. We do have some private schools, particularly in the east but otherwise it's all state, local authority schools. If they are looking for supply staff they will advertise on myjobscotland.gov.uk

5. Mazod

I should have said actually, before anything else she will need to gain registration with the General Teaching Council for Scotland gtcs.org.uk

I'd get her on that right away if she's thinking about teaching here. Registration is compulsory for state (so the majority) schools and most private schools will look for it too.

6. welshwizard

Thanks your advice is greatly appreciated

7. Mazod

Happy for her/you to pm me with any other questions. My husband qualified in Ireland so has been through the same process.