1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

History teachers advice. Interview lesson on US fighting methods in Vietnam

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by tagraham22, Jun 10, 2017.

1. tagraham22

tagraham22 New commenter

Hi all,

I have an interview on Monday. The lesson is 50 mins to a Year 10 group following Edexcel.

I don't know whether to choose a specific part of the war, use of Na Palm, My Lai etc. Have groups look at various aspects and report back.
    Or go for an overview of the whole war; sending advisors, change after Gulf of Tonkin, VIetnamisation. Have groups look at a specific time period.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

cheers
    Terry

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Not an expert on Vietnam war, but I'd suggest you find out what the class have already covered first... That might help decide what topic to focus on. Also think about resources you have - I'd rather do a lesson which I had good resources for than one I didn't.

But other things being equal, I'd probably choose the latter one you suggest, maybe get them to create a large time line on the wall by the end of the lesson?

3. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Senior commenter

If the school hasn't said where the students are with something, assume that the students have not done the topic before. But let the school know where your planning was from. And have differentiated resources. If they know more than you think, then you can shift the lot of them to the more difficult task.

What skills do you want this interview lesson to display? If group work is a strength, go for that. If you're more a believer in source work and deep reading, give them a lesson around that. Play to your strengths.