1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

History specific issues in teaching

Discussion in 'History' started by Baby-Weir, Feb 14, 2012.

1. I've been offered an interview for a Secondary History PGCE and for it I need an awareness of current subject specific issues.

Could anyone help me??

2. How about the introduction of the English baccalaureate and the idea that History will now become compulsory for many students at GCSE? The fact that this does not take into account the written demands of the subject and the wide range of ability of GCSE students?

3. katnoodle

katnoodle New commenter

I would add the change from modular to linear GCSEs - this essentially means that students will need to remember all the content of the course over two years ready for a single exam at the end of Year 11, rather than taking one or two exams in Year 10 and being able to move on with the next topic, and having the option to retake.

Also personalised provision is still a hot topic and particularly challenging for History. The new Ofsted framework also puts a new emphasis on students being independent learners - how can this be ensured in History, particularly in mixed ability classrooms?

4. Have a look at the historical Association website. I think they've just submitted a report to the curriculum review people.