1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

History PGCE Interview at Institute of Education

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Aysel9, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Hi Stuart,
    Surprisingly it went ok. The 5min presentation is really informal, its in a meeting room, and you have the choice to either sit or stand to give it. I would recommend standing though. But, it was nice for them to give the option.
    Anyway, the questions at interview were generally what I was expecting. They asked why I wanted to be a teacher, why I wanted to teach History. There were a few questions about the curriculum, on whether I thought it is useful, and what area's of study I would add to it if I was allowed. Also, they asked about my experiences within school settings, and how i would cope in challenging situations etc. Overall it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. There are two interviewers interviewing. Thats about all really, I hope this helps you.
    Good luck on getting an interview.

2. Hi, whats OPs?

3. StuartTooting

StuartTooting New commenter

When did you apply? I'm still playing the waiting game after 5 weeks with no word from the IOE either way.

4. Hi Stuart,
    My application was processed on 13th October. I left it exactly 28 days and called them up saying I hadn't heard and they gave me an interview within hours. They don't like to leave it too long before they give you an interview so don't worry too much. She also told us on the day that we were only the second group of interviewees (groups of 6) and that they expect 50 places so there is still loads available. Have you heard yet? Keep on their case - my friend rang the GTTR and they said applications were down 30% as a whole anyway!
    Chris

5. Hi Stuart,
    My application was processed on 13th October. I left it exactly 28 days and called them up saying I hadn't heard and they gave me an interview within hours. They don't like to leave it too long before they give you an interview so don't worry too much. She also told us on the day that we were only the second group of interviewees (groups of 6) and that they expect 50 places so there is still loads available. Have you heard yet? Keep on their case - my friend rang the GTTR and they said applications were down 30% as a whole anyway!
    Chris

6. StarbabyCat

StarbabyCat New commenter

Mine was processed on the 14th of Oct and *** all here (pardon the French!) I called last week and they said they will be in contact in the next 2 weeks. So still technically waiting but it seems to have been aaaaaaages!!!

7. StuartTooting

Rang the IOE today. Apparently they are still deciding on future dates for interviews. The applications officer wasn't in the office but should hopefully get back to me over the next few days.

8. StarbabyCat

Thank you was literally just about to call! I'm going out of my mind waiting.......ARGH!!

9. StuartTooting

You should still call I think. Won't do any harm and would be interesting to see if they tell you something different.

10. StarbabyCat

Well my interview is at 1pm next Tues. Got the email this morning at 6:45 which was a bit bizarre! Hope to see you there StuartTooting!

11. StarbabyCat

Just BUMPING this thread up to see if anyone else has an interview this week? [​IMG] Mine's on Thursday...at last!!
    Oh it was supposed to be today but another email said it needed to be rearranged so its Thursday at 13:00 now.

12. StuartTooting

Got notice of an interview yesterday. I'm due in on Tuesday 20th December at 10am.

13. Congrats to everyone. I'm still waiting to hear back from them - I just want to know yes or no then they can send my application to my second choice.

14. StarbabyCat

Good luck Stuart! Thats very near Christmas, you have a lot of time to prepare! I'm swotting up on everything now, including my presentation,

15. Hello, i'm Lynsey, and hope you don't mind me adding a comment to this.

I have my interview on the 21st and am really nervous about the interview aspect of it. I think my presentation will be acceptable, just need to time myself to the second. What have you decided to do yopur presentation on - if you don't mind me asking.

Lynsey

16. StuartTooting

Hi Lynsey,
    Haven't decided what to do my presentation on yet... Not sure if to do something a bit off the wall to try and stand out or play it safe. What are you doing yours on?

17. StarbabyCat

I had mine yesterday. It was fine. The individual interview is the hardest part, it focuses massively on your placement more than anything else. There was no mention of the curriculum. Good luck everyone!

18. Hi,
    I have decided to settle on the topic of changing attitudes towards Britian participation in the Great War - i know that this is dicsuss briefly within the curriculum. Had so many ideas it was diccicult to decide upon one, especially as we only have 5minutes to discuss it. I am quite nervous about the one to one aspect of the interview. I think that as long as we show an idea of how to teach a topic to students it should go ok.
    Lynsey

19. StarbabyCat

Anyone interviewed already heard back? I'm anticipating another no. I'll just keep trying they'll let me in eventually!

20. I called them last week as my interview was 3 weeks ago and the waiting is taking over my life. The woman told me that a decision has been made on my application and I should hear soon. I heard nothing so I called back again and was told that I was unlikely to hear until the TDA confirms places with them which should be anytime now but could also be January. My only solace is that the guy on the phone told me that if it was a definite no I would have probably heard by now. Finger crossed for everyone here!